Nothing is as frustrating in housekeeping than when your vacuum cleaner loses suction. You run the vacuum over the same spot time after time until you just bend over and pick up those stubborn crumbs by hand. Although Dyson vacuum cleaners are among the best when it comes to suction power, they are still susceptible to suction loss. Keeping the washable filters on your Dyson vacuum clean will help keep it running smoothly.
Unplug your vacuum cleaner. For safety reasons, do not attempt to change or remove any part without first doing this step.
Locate your washable filters and remove them. Filters are in different locations on every Dyson model, and there may be one or two of them. One filter is near the bottom of the canister. On Dyson Ball models, it is inside the ball. Push the button to release the housing and pull out the filter. On models without the Ball, it is housed in a casing on the main body of the vacuum, to the right or left of the canister. There is a button to release the housing. If there is a second filter, it will be above the canister. To remove this filter, first remove the canister, then push the button to release the filter housing. Pull out the filter.
Rinse filters under cold running water until water runs clear. Do not use soap, hot water, a washing machine or a dishwasher.
Allow filters to dry completely. This can take 12 to 24 hours.
Put filters back by placing them in the locations in which you found them and covering them with their plastic housings. Always put each filter back where you found it; do not switch them.
Check the filters regularly. If they are brown or black, or if they are covered in dust, they need to be cleaned. Repeat the cleaning process at least every six months, or more frequently if you vacuum often.
Tips & Warnings
- Washable filters are intended to last the lifetime of your vacuum, so you should not need to replace them. In the event that you damage or lose a filter, filters are available from most vacuum supply retailers. Make sure the replacement filter is intended for Dyson vacuums and for the model you have--knockoffs are generally substandard.
- There will be a picture of a filter or a label on the outside of the housing, making the filters easier to locate.
- Dyson offers an online service that will send you email reminders when it is time to wash your filter.
- Do not use your vacuum without its filter. This will damage the machine.
- If your vacuum has a HEPA filter, do not try to remove or wash it. It is permanent and should last the lifetime of your vacuum.
- Dyson Owner’s Manual, DC07; Dyson; 2008
- Dyson Owner's Manual, DC25