Spawn costume masks with light-up eyes are available for purchase online, but full Spawn costumes are hard to find. If you want to be Spawn, you may have to make your own Spawn costume. Making a Spawn costume is not the easiest costuming endeavor; you will need patience, time and money to complete this outfit.
Things You'll Need
- Pictures of Spawn for reference
- Black face mask
- White adhesive-backed vinyl fabric
- Utility knife
- Black spandex or nylon long-sleeved shirt and long pants
- Red leather-like fabric or leather
- Hot glue gun and glue
- Red cape
- Red gloves
- Length of chain link
- Three plastic or foam white skulls
- Foam padding
- Black elastic
Make a Spawn mask. Trace the shape of Spawn's face designs onto white vinyl fabric that has a strong adhesive backing, and cut them out. Remove the back from the cutouts and press them onto a black face mask.
Make a shirt. Refer to photos of Spawn's costume; there is a large white V pattern on each side of his chest. Cut these patterns out of white adhesive-backed vinyl, and press them to the shirt.
Begin a gauntlet and armband with red leather-like fabric or red leather. Cut the patterns out in advance and attach the spikes. Spikes for leatherworking are available online; one source is listed in the Resources section. Mark small Xs on the front and back of the leather where you want to place spikes, then use an awl to make a hole. Push the spike through from the back of the piece.
Finish the gauntlet and armband by gluing strips of foam padding to the inside of the leather and stitching the leather shut around it. Use the same process to make Spawn's leg band. For ease of use, stitch on black elastic strips on the back side of these so you can stretch them to put on and take off.
Alter the red cape. Cut small holes in either side of the cape's neck, and rim the holes with glue to prevent fraying. Place these at about your collarbones. Clip a length of chain link between the two sides of the cape, through the holes. Cut two of the skulls' backs off, leaving a flat surface you can glue easily. Glue the skulls to the cape over the ends of the chain, covering the holes where it is attached.
Make a belt. Drill small holes in the sides of the third skull. Attach both ends of a waist-length piece of chain link to the skull on either side. For ease of removal, you may want to put a connector link somewhere in the belt.
Accessorize the rest of your homemade Spawn costume. Wrap another length of chain link around the opposite leg from the leg band, and add red gloves and black boots.
Tips & Warnings
- As an alternate to adhesive-backed fabric, you can purchase heat-press vinyl and have a local screenprinting shop or custom clothing maker use the heat-pressing process on the mask and shirt, for a more permanent costume solution.
- Do not use fusible interfacing that you must iron on as a substitute for adhesive backing. Vinyl melts when ironed and will ruin your shirt and your iron.
- How to Make Masquerade Ball Masks
- How to Make a Spy Costume
How to Make a Clown Costume
A costume that can be made quickly and easily without too much financial investment is a clown costume. It is a great...
- How to Make a Wrestling Mask
How to Make a Batman Cape
Batman uses his large, dark cape to swoosh through the streets of Gotham to fight crime. The cape is shaped like the...
- How to Make Your Own Gangster Costume
- How to Create a Vampire Costume
Space-Themed Costume Ideas
Outer space offers a treasure trove of different costume ideas for Halloween celebrations and costume parties. The vastness of space is complimented...
- Court Jester Costume Ideas
- Homemade Cat Costume