Making neon paint is as simple as going into your kitchen. Everything you would need is commonly found in any household. You can mix just enough for your current project, or you can keep some on hand for any occasion. For your next project, make your own paint and let your message be seen from a distance.
Things You'll Need
- Neon food coloring
- White glue
- Shaving cream
- Epsom salts
- White vinegar
Take the bowl and the flour and mix small amounts of flour and water until you get the desired amount and it is a smooth paste.
Depending on how you intend to use the paint, mix to the correct consistency. Finger paint would be thicker, poster paint would be kind of thick, while regular watercolor paint is thinner.
Add the color, and mix the paint until the color is consistent throughout.
Empty the contents into an airtight container and store.
Mix 3 tsp. of cornstarch and 2 tsp. of white vinegar in a small airtight jar. Add the food coloring until you have reached your desired hue. Store in an airtight container.
For a paint that will shimmer on dark backgrounds, Mix ¼ cup of hot water with 3 tsp. of Epsom salts in a small airtight jar. Add the food coloring to achieve the desired hue.
To make puff paint, pour 1/3 of a cup of white glue into an airtight container. Mix in the food coloring (this will not be the final color; just add a few drops).
Add 2/3 cup of shaving cream, and stir until the shaving cream is completely colored. Add more coloring if needed, and store.
Tips & Warnings
- These same recipes can be used for regular or pastel colored paints also.
- The food coloring may be substituted for powered tempera paints if desired.
- You can make multiple batches of these paints and use in classrooms or for all your home projects.
- These paints may not be washable, paint with care.
- Just because the ingredients are from the kitchen doesn’t make the paint edible. Nor should they be used on the face.