Building an outdoor water fountain can be so relaxing and exotic that the worked entailed can seem overwhelming. In reality though it is a very simple process. Here are the basic steps of building your very own outdoor water fountain.
Things You'll Need
- Water pump
- Chosen materials for fountain
The first thing is to decide what you want your fountain made from and to look like. The possibilities are endless for what you can use (stones, pipe, plastic, barrels) all you have to do is use your imagination. Once you have selected your materials and how the fountain will flow (where the water will come out at, what parts it will flow over, where it will be caught) you can move forward. BE CREATIVE!
The next thing to do is shop for a pump to fit your needs. Pumps range in size the amount of water they pump out. You have to decide how fast and strong you want the stream of water to be before you buy the pump.
Now that you have the pump and the set-up it is time to install! If you re using multiple parts (such as stacking rocks) you need to make sure that there is a liner under them so you don't constantly lose water. On any spots where there is joints or cracks make sure to sealer with a waterproof sealer to keep all water in. Run your pump hose through your fountain and set up the stream to flow how you would like it. This takes ALOT of trail and error. Water flow is a tricky yet fun thing to make adjustments and you just have to play around with it until you have achieved the ideal look.
Enjoy your fountain!
Tips & Warnings
- BE CREATIVE!! With a pump and various materials an outdoor fountain can be made out of practically EVERYTHING!! Wood, stones, bamboo, pipes!! Just use your imagination and you will have a one-of-a-kind masterpiece.
- Any questions with the pump and which one to purchase can be talked over with a sales associate at the store your purchasing from. Landscape stores tend to have the widest range and the most knowledgeable associates. Home improvement stores such as Lowe's, Home Depot and Menards are very good also.
- If your building a small water fountain, fish tanks pumps found at pet stores will also typically work.
- Make sure you have all leaks and gaps sealed up with either sealer or liner. If these problems aren't addressed at the beginning they can be very difficult to fix.
- Photo Credit www.sxc.hu
How to Build Outdoor Water Fountains
An outdoor water fountain can add beauty and interest to your backyard or garden. This landscaping project, though the end result looks...
How to Build Water Features
Backyard water features can create an oasis filled with soothing, bubbling water. Water features can also increase the value of your home...
How to Build Your Own Fountain
Water fountains are easy to create, and add a soothing feature inside a home or in an outdoor landscape. You can purchase...
How to Repair Leaks in a Water Fountain
A fountain makes a bold accent point to any landscaping layout. It can add an extra dimension to your yard that will...