Construction theme parties can use a dump truck cake to stay in line with the theme. By using cake mixes, you can make your own dump truck cake, save time and can get as fancy as you want with the details. A dump truck cake is unique and not all that hard to do. It will really stand out, even when it's in the middle of a table piled high with gifts. Once the layers are baked, it should only take you about an hour to put it together and you don't have to tell anyone it was that quick.
Things You'll Need
- 2 boxes of your favorite cake mix
- 8 x 12-inch cake pan
- 6 x 9-inch loaf pan
- 4 x 8-inch small loaf pan
- 6 chocolate frosted doughnuts
- 3 long bamboo skewers
- 1 can of red frosting
- 1 can of chocolate frosting
- Round-tipped knife or small spatula
Bake all three cakes, following the directions on the cake mix box. You'll have enough batter for some cupcakes too, but you can set the batter in the refrigerator and bake them later if you want. Cool the cakes and then set the 8 x 12-inch cake on the serving platter you're using for the cake.
Using a knife or spatula, frost the top and sides of the 8 x 12-inch cake with the chocolate frosting and set this cake, which is the dump truck's undercarriage, in the refrigerator to firm the frosting a bit.
Frost the 6 x 9-inch cake with red frosting. Carefully set the red frosted cake, which is the dump compartment, on top of the chocolate-frosted undercarriage, leaving 3 inches of the chocolate layer showing at the left side of the cake.
Frost the smallest cake with chocolate frosting and set it carefully to the left of the red-frosted container, on top of the chocolate-frosted undercarriage, to be the cab of the dump truck cake.
Fasten one chocolate frosted doughnut to the chocolate undercarriage of the truck on each side of the cab with a bamboo skewer. If the skewer sticks out, carefully cut it off with scissors. The doughnuts become the front tires for the truck.
Fasten two doughnuts on each side of the undercarriage, close to the rear of the truck, using the other two bamboo skewers to hold them in place, for the double tires on the back of the dump truck.
Tips & Warnings
- Add black licorice shoelaces as vertical ridges on the red-frosted dump truck container.
- You can frost two graham crackers with pale blue or white frosting, and add them to the cab as a windshield.
- Frost two small wafer cookies with white frosting to make a pair of headlights for the front of the cab.
- The hardest part will be gently setting the red dump compartment on top of the chocolate frosted undercarriage. Just take your time and move slowly. Use a large spatula if you have one handy.
- Remove the skewers before you cut and serve the cake, and set them where little kids can't reach them. They might try to lick off the frosting on the skewers and jab their tongues or mouths.
- Photo Credit cake image by Bartlomiej Nowak from Fotolia.com
- How to Start a Dump Truck Business
How to Make Construction Trucks Birthday Cakes
When your little boy is into construction trucks, it's natural to turn that love into a birthday party theme. Give your son...
How to Make a Monster Truck Birthday Cake
Anyone can top a brown-iced sheet cake with a monster truck toy, but an edible monster truck made entirely from cake is...
How to Make a Truck Birthday Cake
Birthday cakes can take on a variety of shapes, depending on the guest of honor's interests. A cake can be one of...