• Always use cedar wood.
Installing shutters to your house can add great curb appeal. Here are a few tips on how to make wood shutters.
Things You'll Need
- primer and paint
- paint roller and brush
• Figure out how many windows you are going to put shutters on, and measure the height of each window. Be sure to account for each side of the window.
• Purchase enough 1" by 8" cedar boards that are straight and knot free to fill your order.
• The design for each shutter is two 1" by 8" boards attached by two 1" by 3" boards. This means that each window will have four 1" by 8" that go with it. Other designs can be used as well with the same basic idea (ex. Three 1" by 4" boards).
• Cut all of the boards to length and sand the edges by hand until they are slightly rounded.
• Paint a primer on all sides of the boards (even the back) to prevent deterioration. This will take two coats. After the primer dries the shutters can be assembled.
• Each shutter will have 8 screws in it as shown in the picture. After the shutters are assembled designs can be cut into them if desired (moon shapes ect.)
• Paint the shutters the desired color and install them. When painting be sure to watch for drips. See how to install shutters in ehow.
• Other ornate designs can be added after installation. Search the google image for other ideas.
- Photo Credit homeandgarden.com
How to Build My Own Interior Shutter
Wood shutters are an effective way of controlling the amount of natural light, heat and ventilation that enters through windows, while adding...
How to Build Louvered Shutters
Louvered shutters comprise a variety of styles. Each window dictates what size louver you should use. Create a wider space between louvers...
How to Build Easy Exterior Shutters
How to Build Decorative Exterior Shutters for Your Home; How Do I Build Wood Slats to Look Like Exterior Shutters? Comments You...
Homemade Wood Shutters
You can design and install custom wooden shutters for your home using simple carpentry ... Here are a few tips on how...
How to Make Indoor Shutters for Windows
Shutters are an attractive way of improving the insulation in your home. You can build a set of indoor shutters that enhance...
Homemade Interior Shutters
Homemade Interior Shutters. Shutters have been used to cover windows for hundreds of years. ... View Photos. Others Also Viewed. How to...
How to Make Storm Shutters
Storm shutters can help protect your home from severe storm damage. Broken glass from wind-driven debris is the most common storm damage....