A steady hand is especially critical when using rotary tools. The projects you can create are limited only by your imagination. With all the bits and cutters available, it is a snap to create figurines, sculptures or precise carvings. It is highly recommended that novice rotary tool users get plenty of practice before creating that first masterpiece. For the purpose of this article, we will be working on figurines, which cover many projects.
Things You'll Need
- Rotary tool
- Blocks of wood
Draw the outline shape of the desired figurine on the block of wood.
Follow the shape of the outlined pattern with a carving bit. Don't apply too much pressure--let the tool and the bit do the cutting.
Draw the features of the object on the newly formed figurine. Carve these lines with a fine-tipped bit for accuracy.
Repeat Step 3 for any additional carvings that have not been covered. Next, use a sanding bit to smooth the carvings to add the finishing touches.
Stain or paint the figurine as desired. Apply several thin coats, as the minute details can "pool'"the stain or paint.
Tips & Warnings
- Always wear safety glasses.
- Use a wood clamp or table vice to hold the block of wood while you are carving.
- Do not rush the project.
- Do not allow your hand to get close to the bit while the rotary tool is on.
- Do not leave power tools unattended.
- Photo Credit http://cdn.overstock.com/images/products/L10362646.jpg, http://www.woodcarvers.org/patterns3/4_LetterOpenersbyWillHayden.jpg, http://www.geocities.com/budb3/tpic/toolb/rotrtr.jpg, http://www.turbocarver.com/MetalBurs.jpg, http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/926916/2/istockphoto_926916_rotary_tools_sanding_papers.jpg, http://www.corkscrewsonline.com/images/letter_opener.JPG
About Electric Wood Carving Tools
When people think of electric wood carving tools, they often think of a Dremel multipurpose, rotary tool. Both professional and hobby wood...
How to Use a Rotary Tool Kit
There isn't anything a rotary tool kit can't help you do. Okay, that's kind of an exaggeration, but when it comes to...
How to Ask a Rotary Club for a Donation
Rotary International is the world's first service club organization. Founded in Chicago in 1905 by Paul Harris, Rotary International has grown to...
Cheap Mini Rotary Tools
Miniature rotary tools are useful for home repair or design projects that require drilling, sanding or grinding in small areas. If you...
Craftsman Rotary Tool Instructions
Rotary tools are some of the most versatile tools on the market. This is because there are so many different accessories that...