Making paper carnations is a wonderfully inexpensive way to decorate for a wedding reception, anniversary party, birthday party or shower. And if you're in need of a rainy-day craft activity for your kids, teaching them to make paper carnations will turn your day from gloomy to bright.
Things You'll Need
- Tissue paper
- 22-gauge floral wire
- Floral tape
- Wire cutters
- Pinking shears
Cut four pieces of tissue paper to a size of 10" x 30".
Stack the pieces of tissue paper, with all their edges even.
Make 1" accordion folds along the long side of the stacked tissue paper.
Cut an 18" length of floral wire and bend it in half.
Using the pinking shears, cut across the short ends of the accordion-folded tissue paper.
Slip the bent floral wire over the center of the accordion-folded tissue paper. Twist the wire securely.
Starting at the center of the paper carnation, pull up, separate and fluff each layer of tissue paper.
Stabilize the stem of the paper carnation by wrapping the doubled wire with floral tape.
Tips & Warnings
- Make solid carnations by using one color of tissue paper, or layer different colors for a beautiful, multi-hued effect.
- Create a unique vintage paper carnation by using old tissue papers from old dress patterns.
- Alter the size of the tissue-paper rectangles to make larger or smaller carnations.
- Add a bit of sparkle to the paper carnations by spritzing them with spray glue and sprinkling lightly with glitter.
- Surprise a teacher or grandma with a beautiful bouquet of paper carnations in her favorite colors. Single carnations are beautiful, but a bouquet makes quite a statement.
How to Make Crepe Paper Carnations
Crepe paper carnations make beautiful decorations for May Day, Cinco de Mayo and Mother's Day. They are also an alternative to real...
How to Make a Sweet Flower Lei Necklace From Tissue Paper
This four-step tutorial will show you how to make paper lei flower necklaces. Whip up a batch for your next party.