You can customize the main display on the Android-based Nook HD tablet so that your main home screen or gallery is configured with the items you use frequently. Arrange icons in the top carousel, for example, so that it displays your recently used items or your newest purchases and incoming subscriptions. In the lower portion of your home screen, you can rearrange and configure favorite items from your library, apps or Web bookmarks for quick, one-tap access.
Configuring the Active Shelf
Press the "Nook" button, which looks like a lower case N, to navigate to your Nook HD's home screen and tap the "Settings" gear icon at the top right.
Tap "All Settings" and then "Applications."
Tap "Home" and select the elements you wish to display in the carousel. For example, you can enable the "Inbox" option to show only recently purchased content or choose to disable any app icons from displaying in the carousel.
Tap the "Back" arrow icon in the upper left corner to return to your home screen and view your changes.
Configuring the Desktop
Long-press your finger under the Active Shelf on the desktop of your Nook HD.
Tap a category at the bottom of your screen -- like Library, Apps or Widgets -- and then drag and drop an icon from the list onto the desktop. For example, you can tap "Apps" and then place your favorite game app icon on your desktop.
Remove icons from your desktop by dragging them downward and off-screen.
Tap "Done" when you have completed the arrangement of icons on the desktop.
Tips & Warnings
- Alternate between multiple desktop screens by swiping your finger to the side.
- While arranging icons on your desktop, you can use the "Wallpapers" tab to change your Nook HD's background image.
- You can press and drag items from your Active Shelf down to the desktop.
- Information in this article applies to the Barnes & Noble Nook HD and Nook HD+. It may vary slightly or significantly with other versions or products.
- Photo Credit Comstock/Comstock/Getty Images