The sight of all the grime and grease on the inside of the oven after a delicious, home-cooked meal disheartens housekeepers everywhere. Although commercial products tackle the mess with varying degrees of success, concoctions made of common household ingredients work just as well to clean baked-on dirt or grease on glass oven doors.
Things You'll Need
- Steel wool or scrubby sponge
- Rubber gloves
- Large wooden or metal spoon
- Paper towels
- 1 tablespoon liquid dish soap
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon bleach
- 1 quart warm water
- 5 tablespoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon liquid dish soap
- 4 tablespoons white distilled vinegar
- 1 cup ammonia
Lemon Juice and Bleach
Measure 1 tablespoon each of liquid dish soap, lemon juice and bleach. Pour into a large bucket.
Add 1 quart of warm water and stir well.
Pour a thin, standing layer of this mixture on the inside of the oven glass. Rub it around to thoroughly coat the entire window. Let it sit for at least an hour. Scrub the window vigorously with steel wool or a scrubby sponge. Wipe clean and dry with paper towels.
Baking Soda and Vinegar
Measure 5 tablespoons of baking soda, 1 teaspoon liquid dish soap and 4 tablespoons white distilled vinegar. Pour into a plastic container or bucket and mix into a paste.
Put on rubber gloves and spread the mixture on the glass with a sponge until completely coated. Let it sit for at least an hour at 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
Let the oven cool completely and wipe away the cleaner using steel wool and paper towels.
Vent the kitchen well and turn on the overhead fan.
Pour 1 cup of ammonia into a bowl. Set the bowl into the oven and close the door. Let it sit overnight.
Scrub the oven glass vigorously with a scrubby sponge or steel wool.
Tips & Warnings
- Some people have found success with just soaking the grease-splattered glass with full-strength white vinegar for 15 to 20 minutes and then wiping it with a scrubby sponge or steel wool.
- Never mix ammonia with bleach because it will create a poisonous gas.
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Polka Dot/Getty Images