Store-bought children’s costumes can be costly, especially if your child grows out of the outfit before it can be used again. Homemade costumes can save you money and be a fun project for you and your child to complete together. Draw inspiration from nature to create a tree costume for your child. Make a simple tree costume for Halloween parties or school plays by decorating comfortable clothing with fabric leaves.
Things You'll Need
- Brown pants
- Black fabric marker
- Green sweatshirt
- Hot glue gun
- Fabric leaves
- Green stretch hat
- Black or brown shoes
- Green stretch gloves
- Stuffed bird or animal
- Safety pins
- Green, water-based face paint
Lay a pair of brown pants on a flat surface. Use a black fabric marker to draw vertical lines on the trousers so that they resemble bark.
Lay a green sweatshirt on a flat surface. Use a hot glue gun to attach fabric leaves to the front and back of the sweatshirt. Layer the leaves so that the front and back are well covered.
Lay a green, stretch hat on a flat surface. Attach fabric leaves to the hat with hot glue
Dress your child in the pants, sweatshirt and hat, as well as a pair of black or brown shoes and green, stretch gloves.
Attach a stuffed bird or animal to the shoulder of the sweatshirt using safety pins.
Paint the child's face green with water-based face paint. Avoid the lips, eyes and nostrils when painting the face.
Tips & Warnings
- Use an orange or brown sweatshirt and red, yellow or orange fabric leaves to create a tree costume in fall colors.
- Be careful when inserting the pin into the sweatshirt -- do not poke the child with the pin.
- Check for allergic reactions to the face paint 24 hours in advance of the event.
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/BananaStock/Getty Images