Fruiting and flowering varieties of cherry trees all bloom in early to mid spring. Generally their flowers appear before the leaves, but the blooms can occur concurrently with the emergence of the leaves. The leaves, however, will not appear before the blossoms.
Cherry Blossom Types
Cherry trees have a wide range of blossoms depending on species. They may possess single or double flowers, and they may be various shades of pink and white. Double flowers tend to last longer into the spring than single flowers.
Cherries are self pollinating. They will blossom regardless of the presence of another cherry tree of the same or different species. As long as the pollen from the flower's anther transfers to the stigma, the cherry tree will blossom.
Due to the time of year that cherries blossom, occasionally the blossoms are subject to late frosts, which can impede flowering or damage the buds. To fully reap the benefits of a cherry tree's blossoms, plant them in a location protected from frost.
- Iowa State University Extenison; Growing Cherries in the Home Garden; Richard Jauron; Feb. 6, 2008
- University of Missouri Extension; Selecting Landscape Plants: Flowering Trees; Chris Starbuck; October 2004
- Clemson Cooperative Extenison; Ornamental Cherry, Plum, Apricot and Almond; Debbie Shaughnessy, et al.; June 1999
- Virginia Cooperative Extension; Growing Cherries in Virginia; Richard P. Marini; May 1, 2009
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images BananaStock/BananaStock/Getty Images
When Do Hibiscus Flowers Bloom?
The tropical hibiscus (Hibiscus Rose-sinensis) attracts hummingbirds and butterflies with its large, delicate flowers. Each blossom can grow up to 6 inches...
Do Apple Trees Bloom or Leaf First?
Apple trees go through a specific cycle every year. Even when it looks like nothing is going on, the tree is preparing...
Types of Cherry Blossom Trees
Along with magnolia trees, ornamental or flowering cherry trees provide dynamic blossom displays in very late winter to mid-spring. Ornamental cherries are...