Name Changes Through Marriage in Connecticut


Connecticut couples who marry must decide whether one party will take the plunge and change her name. Traditionally, the woman takes her new husband's last name, but it is not uncommon for a woman to keep her maiden name or use both her maiden name and her new husband's last name. A man will sometimes take his wife's name after marriage. Whatever you decide, you must make the change legal by contacting the appropriate agencies.

Social Security Administration and Internal Revenue Service

  • Before you can notify any other Connecticut agencies or institutions that you've changed your name, you must notify the Social Security Administration office in the Connecticut city in which you live. You must fill out a change of name form, which you can legally do with the permission granted to you through your marriage certificate. You will receive a new Social Security card through the mail and the Connecticut SSA will notify both the Connecticut Department of Revenue and the Internal Revenue Service of your name change on your behalf.

Driver's License/State ID Cards

  • Notify the Department of Motor Vehicles office in your Connecticut city of your name change. You'll need to provide the agency with a copy of your marriage certificate to obtain a new license or ID card. While you are at the DMV, ask to have your name changed on your voter's registration and vehicle registration paperwork. You will receive your new license or ID card while you wait.

Banks and Financial Institutions

  • Visit your Connecticut bank to change your name on your accounts. You need to provide proof of your identity and your name change with your new license or ID card and your marriage certificate. Inform your employer of your name change and call your landlord or mortgage company to change your name. Contact your out-of-state banks, retirement fund companies, credit card companies and the banks that hold your car note and all of your insurance companies. You also need to visit a Connecticut passport agency to change your name on your passport.

Memberships and Programs

  • Still important, though not as important, for Connecticut residents changing a last name due to marriage is to notify membership programs of your name change. Contact your frequent flyer airline, your movie rental agency, magazines with whom you have subscriptions and other memberships you have. These companies may require proof of your name change, so be prepared to send a copy of your new license or marriage certificate to anyone that requests it.

Related Searches


  • Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Polka Dot/Getty Images
Promoted By Zergnet


You May Also Like

Related Searches

Check It Out

This Is the Beauty Routine of a Wedding Industry Insider

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!