Drying off with soft, absorbent towels after bathing, showering or swimming is something that many people enjoy. While newly-purchased towels are luxuriously soft to the touch, older towels tend to become stiff and less absorbent over time. Luckily, it is possible to soften your hard towels, using some simple laundry additives that you may already have on hand. You may find that your softened towels are almost as luxurious as they were when new.
Things You'll Need
- White vinegar
- Measuring cup
- Laundry detergent
Place your towels into the washing machine, and wash them as you normally would, following the particular care instructions found on the labels of your towels. Use your normal laundry detergent.
Set your washing machine to the "rinse" setting. While the machine is filling, add one-cup white vinegar to the rinse water.
Allow your towels to run through the rinse cycle. Remove them, and dry them in your dryer set to the "tumble" setting.
Tips & Warnings
- If your washing machine does not have a "rinse" setting, simply run your towels through another wash cycle, adding the vinegar as directed.
- To make your towels even softer, wash them using the hottest water recommended on their care labels.
- Do not use fabric softeners or dryer sheets when laundering towels. These products can create buildup in the fibers of the towels, causing them to decrease in absorbency.
- Do not use bleach on your towels, unless the care labels specifically state that it is safe. Even some white towels can become damaged by bleach.
- Photo Credit Photos.com/PhotoObjects.net/Getty Images
How to Make Your Towels Soft
Don’t you hate it when your towels get all hard and scratchy? Even after using all of the products they promote on...
How to Soften Towels
Even the most expensive of towels can become stiff and lose their absorbency over time. The main culprit is fabric softeners. These...
The Best Way to Soften Towels in a Clothes Dryer
There is nothing better than a warm, fluffy towel right out of the clothes dryer. Unfortunately, many towels lose that fluffy feeling...