Custom-made wreaths can be costly. Instead of handing over fifty dollars or more for a one-of-a-kind wreath, make your own using inexpensive supplies you likely already have around the house. Made out of a wire clothes hanger and inexpensive sandwich bags, this wreath is surprisingly elegant. The clear sandwich bags form a sparkling white wreath that you can decorate to suit your needs. Tie on a few baby toys for a baby shower decoration or add a bright red bow for Valentine's Day.
Things You'll Need
- 1 wire clothes hanger
- Wire cutters
- 125 or more fold-over plastic sandwich bags
- Hot glue gun
- Silk flowers, ornaments or other decorations
Shape the clothes hanger into a circle. This provides the base of your wreath. Leave the hook in place. You can use it to hang your wreath once you're finished. If you don't want the hook, you can fold it down or cut it off with wire cutters.
Accordion-fold each sandwich bag to form a long strip of plastic.
Tie bags onto the wire frame one at a time. For a fuller wreath, arrange bags with the knots facing in opposite directions. Push the bags tightly together as your work for a lush wreath. Continue until the wire circle is full.
Fluff the bags to hide the knots around the frame and trim uneven ends with scissors.
Embellish your wreath by attaching ribbons, bows, ornaments, flowers or other decorations with a hot glue gun.
Tips & Warnings
- This craft also makes a sparkling table centerpiece. Just place a large pillar candle in the center and set it in the middle of a table.
- Experiment with colored sandwich bags for a variety of looks.
- This project is an ideal rainy-day craft for children and adults.
- Supervise children as they use scissors and the hot glue gun.
- Photo Credit Polka Dot Images/Polka Dot/Getty Images
How to Make the Perfect Paper Airplane, Step-by-Step
Paper airplanes have long gotten students in trouble and kept bored business men busy during office meetings. The best paper airplane is...
How to Make Wreaths Out of Coat Hangers & Plastic Bags for Kids
Making a coat hanger wreath is an uncomplicated craft project that even young children can successfully complete. The project doesn't require buying...