OpenOffice Impress is a presentation program comparable with Microsoft PowerPoint. Impress allows you to add a number of advanced effects to your presentation, including animated transitions, embedded video and interactive buttons and controls. One effect you can add to a slide is to embed music or sound effects that play as soon as the slide comes up in your presentation. In Impress, this is simply a matter of clicking through a couple of menus.
Open an Impress presentation, and navigate to the slide where you wish to add music. Click on the slide to place the cursor about where you want the icon for your music file to appear.
Click the "Insert" menu from the top menu bar, and select "Movie and Sound" from the drop-down menu.
Navigate to the MP3 file you want to add in the Insert Movie and Sound dialog box. Click on the file, and then click on "Open." A speaker icon appears on the slide.
Click and drag the icon to where you would like it to appear on the slide. Adjust the size of the icon by clicking on one of the green frame handles and dragging it to the correct size.
Test the embedded file by clicking on the "Slide Show" view on the right-hand side of the upper tool bar. The slide will appear full screen, and the music will begin playing.
Tips & Warnings
- Preview sound files before you embed them by using the media player built into Impress. It's found under the Tools menu.
- Make any image in the slide a play button for a sound file by right-clicking on it, selecting "Interaction" and then specifying that the slide will play a sound file when the image is clicked.
- If your slide show is set to advance automatically, be sure that the sound file you select is not longer than the transition time, or your music will be cut short.
- Very large sound files will take longer to load and may delay the slide itself.
- Photo Credit Patrick Ryan/Lifesize/Getty Images
What Is OpenOffice?
OpenOffice is a free collection of programs meant to compete with the Microsoft Office Suite. (It can thus open any Microsoft Office...
How to Add Shapes in OpenOffice Impress
Shapes can add interest to your next OpenOffice Impress presentation and direct your audience in the right direction. Adding the shapes is...
How Do You Embed a Website Into a PowerPoint Presentation?
In the past, accessing a website through Microsoft Powerpoint during a presentation without interrupting your presentation has not been possible without making...
How to Embed Audio in Impress Open Office
Impress is the presentation module in Open Office, a program that works similarly to Microsoft Office. Adding an audio clip to a...
How to Embed PPS in HTML
If you're a student or a business professional who has to create Microsoft PowerPoint presentations on a regular basis you might have...
How to Add Templates to OpenOffice
Templates can be used to customize OpenOffice documents to exact specifications. You can include headers, footers, style changes such as font, font...