Bratwursts are sausages that can contain a variety of different meats such as pork, beef or veal. Also known as brats, the sausages are common during barbecues and outdoor events. Marinating brats in a liquid solution that contains beer and other ingredients gives the sausages a moist texture and rich flavor. After you cook the marinated bratwurst, serve it on a bun with your favorite condiments such as relish, sauerkraut and onions.
Things You'll Need
- Baking dish
- 12 oz. beer
- 2 tbsp. packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. mustard
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- Aluminum foil or clear plastic wrap
Place the bratwursts into a baking dish in a single layer. Pierce the each bratwurst with a fork in 2 or 3 different locations.
Pour 12 oz. of beer over the brats. Add 2 tbsp. of packed brown sugar, 1 tbsp. mustard and 1 tsp. of chili powder. Stir the ingredients to mix them together to coat the brats.
Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil or clear plastic wrap.
Store the bratwursts in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours. Marinate them overnight for best results.
Remove the beer brats from the refrigerator when you are ready to cook them. Reserve the marinade, bring it to a boil on the stovetop for 5 minutes and brush it over the brats while they cook.
Tips & Warnings
- Add your own seasonings to the marinade to customize it, such as garlic powder, soy sauce, hot pepper sauce or honey.
- Experiment with different beers until you find one that infuses the brats with the flavor that you prefer.
- Do not leave bratwurst out at room temperature for longer than 2 hours because bacteria may begin to grow.