Buying commercial laundry detergents can prove costly over time, and many of these detergents contain chemicals that irritate allergies. One way to save money and know exactly what you are using is to make your own. Borax and washing soda are two effective cleaning agents that you can combine with another simple ingredient to make a homemade laundry detergent.
Things You'll Need
- Cheese grater
- Bar of pure soap
- Container with lid
Use a cheese grater to grate a bar of pure soap into a container with lid.
Pour 1/2 cup each of borax and washing soda into the container.
Mix the soap shavings, borax and washing soda together with a spoon.
Add 1 to 2 tbsp. of the soap mixture to your washing machine with each load.
Close the container and store until you are ready to use the laundry detergent again.
Tips & Warnings
- You can find borax and washing soda in the laundry section of most grocery stores.
- "How the Queen Cleans Everything"; Linda Cobb; 2003
- Homemade Laundry Soap: Homemade Powdered Laundry Soap Recipe
- The Family Homestead; Making Homemade Laundry Soap; Crystal Miller
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Pixland/Getty Images
How to Make Homemade Laundry Detergent With Washing Soda & Borax
Homemade laundry detergent provides all the cleaning power of commercial brands but at a fraction of the cost. Depending on the prices...