Corian is a line of solid-surface sinks and countertops manufactured by DuPont. The company offers small and large kitchen sinks with a single or double basin, as well as a line of bathroom sinks. Kitchen options include apron-front sinks and countertops with integrated sinks. The Corian line is stain-resistant and durable, making them an attractive choice for a kitchen or bathroom remodel. Cleaning a Corian sink is not difficult, but DuPont has some suggestions to help maintain the appearance of the sink over years of use.
Things You'll Need
- Mild detergent
- Paper towels
- Ammonia-based cleanser (not window cleaner)
- Micro-abrasive cleanser
- Scouring sponge
Scrub small stains and residue away with soapy water and a cleaning sponge. A mild dish detergent should remove most dirt and residue on a Corian sink.
Wipe the sink dry with paper towels to prevent watermarks and reduce film in the sink.
Spray an ammonia-based cleaner onto the sink and wipe clean with a sponge. Letting the cleaner sit for a minute or two can help break up stains that don't remove easily with soap and water alone.
Squirt into the sink a generous amount of a micro-abrasive cleanser -- about 1 to 2 tbsps. DuPont specifically recommends Soft Scrub if soapy water and ammonia-based cleaners aren't tough enough to clean the sink.
Rub the cleanser over the entire sink with a scouring pad. DuPont endorses Scotch-Brite's green pads for use on Corian. The micro-abrasives in the cleanser coupled with the abrasiveness of the scouring pad should remove any stubborn messes.
Rinse and wipe clean with a regular household sponge while the water is running.
Wipe the sink dry with paper towels when the sink is sufficiently clean.
Tips & Warnings
- Cleansers other than ammonia-based products may work well to clean the sink, but DuPont recommends ammonia-based cleaners for Corian sinks.
- Disinfect your Corian sink by filling it 1/4 full with 1 part water and 1 part bleach, DuPont suggests on its website. Leave the solution in the sink for 15 minutes and wipe the sides and bottom of the sink as the bleach solution drains.
- Do not use a micro-abrasive cleaner and scouring pad to clean Corian countertops. For difficult stains and residue, DuPont recommends Deep Cleaner for DuPont Corian, a cleanser made by Stone Care International and available at some home-improvement stores.
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images
How to Remove Stains From a Corian Sink
Corian, manufactured by DuPont, is a hard material used widely in bathrooms and kitchens. Corian is nonporous and very durable, which make...