Chewing gum contains ingredients that help it stick as it's chewed. When gum ends up on other surfaces, such as the computer, a sticky, messy situation results. Gum isn't difficult to remove when tended to in a timely manner, but the surface to which it's stuck can cause difficulties. Computer keyboards and other grooved or textured surfaces on the computer demand that you clean minute, small spaces to avoid leaving any gum behind that might become a dirt magnet on your computer.
Things You'll Need
- Plastic bag
- Ice cubes
- Paper towels
- Plastic scraper
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- Cotton balls
- Cotton swabs
- Clean cloths
Fill a plastic zip bag with ice cubes. Lay the ice-filled bag on the gum that's stuck on your computer until it hardens.
Pick hardened gum off with a paper towel. Use the edge of a plastic scraper to break off or scrape up small bits of the hardened substance. Remove as much of the gum as possible, leaving only sticky residue.
Warm 1/2 cup white vinegar in the microwave for 20 to 30 seconds. Dampen a cotton ball or cotton swab to wipe on the computer surface to remove sticky gum residue. Change to a clean cotton ball or swab as gum is removed, and continue to wipe.
Dry the surface of the computer with a clean cloth.
Tips & Warnings
- Dampen a cotton ball or swab with vegetable oil to break down and remove the sticky residue left after gum is removed.
- Lighter fluid effectively removes sticky gum from a computer surface.
- Remove gum from the computer as quickly as possible. It will be much easier to clean up while still fresh.
- Do not allow liquids to enter your computer during the removal process.
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images Jupiterimages/Creatas/Getty Images
How to Clean Unwanted Files From a Computer
There are many different ways to clean unwanted files from your computer. Unfortunately, not all of them are safe. Here are a...
How to Remove Chewing Gum From Bricks
Careless gum disposal can lead to a mess if the gum comes in contact with a shoe, creating a gooey mess and...
How to Remove Chewing Gum From Concrete
Not only is chewing gum sticky when fresh, it leaves unsightly stains on the concrete. Removing chewing gum from concrete can be...