A valance is a soft fabric window treatment that spans no more than the upper third of the window. Usually purely decorative, valances come in an array of styles from simple to ornate. Originally conceived as a way to hide unsightly window hardware, now valances are used on their own merit. They add color and interest to a room. Valances often are used in combination with curtains, blinds, shades or shutters. In a room where privacy is not an issue, they can be used alone. Custom-made valances can be expensive. Save money by making your own, using interesting placemats, napkins or tea towels. No sewing is required.
Things You'll Need
- Decorative curtain rod
- Placemats, tea towels or napkins
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
Use screws and drill to attach a decorative curtain rod above the window. Position the rod 4 to 6 inches above the top of the window and 4 to 6 inches wider than the window on either side.
Choose an interesting set of placemats, tea towels or cloth napkins that match your color scheme. The items may be new or vintage, purchased at home stores, antique shops or yard sales.
Drape the items over the rod in an overlapping arrangement you find pleasing. Hang the placemats or tea towels to form squares or rectangles. Napkins may be hung to form overlapping triangles.
If desired, hot-glue some trim, tassels or beads to the edges of the valances. This step is optional, but adds a dressier touch to the valance.
Tips & Warnings
- For an alternate treatment option, make this no-sew valance using clip rings instead of draping the linens over a decorative rod. Simply clip the rings to the placemats, tea towels or napkins and thread the rings onto the rod in overlapping fashion.
- ''Window Treatments for Every Room''; Meredith Books; 2005
- ''The Smart Approach to Window Decor''; Lynn Elliott and Lisa Lent; 2007
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images
How to Hang Valances or Curtains With Two Colors
When it comes to decorating your home, window treatments are a must. You have an array of options when it comes to...
- How to Make Paper Placemats
- How to Make Fabric Napkin Valances
How to Make Easy Window Valances
Valances are window treatments that are hung at the top of a window. Though lengths can vary--even the longest length will only...
Ideas for Bathroom Curtains
Although there are plenty of ready-made curtains for your bathroom at various stores, if you are on a budget or just want...