OxiClean is a multipurpose cleaning product that combines hydrogen peroxide and sodium carbonate to create oxygen bubbles that, along with nonionic detergents, dislodge dirt and debris from water-washable surfaces while helping to fade stains. The use of a light solution of OxiClean and water can clean lawn furniture. If the furniture has tough stains, you may also need to use a mild detergent or slightly abrasive cleaning agent.
Things You'll Need
- Garden hose
- Large spray bottle
- Soft-bristled brush
- Mild liquid detergent
- Baking soda
Make a standard OxiClean and water solution -- 1/8 scoop OxiClean to 2 cups hot water in a large spray bottle.
Remove any non-water-washable items from the lawn furniture such as leather accessories or foam cushions. Set these items aside.
Rinse as much dirt and debris off the furniture as possible with a garden hose. Wait for the furniture to dry.
Spray the furniture thoroughly with the solution from your spray bottle. Wait 10 to 30 minutes. If the furniture has stains, wait the full 30 minutes.
Put on a pair of gloves, and scrub the lawn furniture surfaces with a soft-bristled brush, using up-and-down and side-to-side motions. If you’re cleaning wicker or a textured surface, scrub with circular motions as well. Rinse the furniture thoroughly.
If any stains remain, mix a few drops of mild liquid detergent with 1/4 cup baking soda in a container -- enough to create a paste. Apply the paste to the stains, and then wait 10 minutes. Scrub the stains and rinse away the paste.
Air-dry your lawn furniture. Dispose of any remaining OxiClean solution down a drain.
Tips & Warnings
- If you have dye or fragrance sensitivities, use the OxiClean Versatile Stain Remover “Free” product.
- If you’re using soft water, use less OxiClean in the solution.
- If you’re cleaning near houseplants or on grass, rinse the area thoroughly to remove OxiClean residue.
- Always test the OxiClean solution on an inconspicuous area of your lawn furniture before cleaning to make certain it won’t damage the surface.
- Never use OxiClean on painted surfaces, leather, silk or wool. Additionally, never use it on non-water-washable surfaces.
- Never clean rubber surfaces without checking with the furniture manufacturer.
- Never mix OxiClean with harsh chemicals, especially bleach.
What Kind of Paint Can You Use on a Polyurethane Treated Surface?
Any type of paint is suitable for use on a polyurethane treated surface as long as the surface is pretreated, beforehand. No...
How to Clean White Plastic Lawn Chairs
Cleaning plastic lawn chairs can be frustrating, especially if they are white. Sometimes they can get stained from the elements or from...
How to Clean Upholstery With Oxyclean
Cleaning your upholstered furniture is cheaper than throwing it out and buying new. If you don't already own one, you should rent...