Patios, decks and stairs are often lined with durable vinyl railings. Vinyl railings can become dull and dingy after just a few weeks of outdoor exposure. The accumulated dust must be removed to return the original shine to the vinyl rails. Common household cleaners can be combined to make an effective cleaning solution for vinyl surfaces. You can restore the look of a vinyl railing and protect it from future damage at the same time.
Things You'll Need
- 4 tsp. powdered laundry detergent
- 8 tsp. multipurpose household cleaner
- 1 quart distilled water
- Adjustable nozzle spray bottle
- 2 cups bleach (optional)
- Garden hose
- Spray nozzle (optional)
- Soft sponge
- Vinyl protectant spray
Combine the laundry detergent, multipurpose cleaner and water in a spray bottle. Shake the bottle vigorously until the powdered detergent has dissolved. Substitute half the water with bleach if mildew is growing on the vinyl railing.
Spray the surface of the vinyl railing with the garden hose. Add a spray nozzle to the hose and blast dirt away to reduce scrubbing time.
Spray the cleaning solution directly onto a soft sponge. Wipe the vinyl railing with the soapy sponge, starting at the top and moving upward. Lay a towel under the section you are cleaning if you want to avoid dripping onto the deck or patio.
Wipe down the cleaned vinyl railing with damp towels. Wait for the surface of the vinyl to dry completely. Rub in the vinyl protectant spray after spraying it on a clean dry towel.
Tips & Warnings
- Spray the vinyl railing with the hose between full washings to extend their clean and shiny look.
- Leave the cleaning solution on the vinyl surface for two minutes and then scrub on the more stubborn dirty spots.
- Toxic household cleaners may damage nearby plant life if some of the spray lands on them. Adjust the nozzle and spray straight onto the sponge.
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Comstock/Getty Images
- Should a Pool Deck Go Over the Pool Rails or Under?
Home Remedies to Shine a Vinyl Floor
Cleaning and polishing the vinyl floor does not require the use of chemical-based cleaners. In fact, many homeowners are using the same...
How to Make Laminate Wood Floors Shine
Laminate floors are a beautiful addition to any home at a fraction of the cost of regular hardwood floors. Laminate floors boast...
How to Clean Vinyl Deck Railing
Vinyl decking is often advertised as "no maintenance" or "maintenance-free." While it is true the vinyl deck railings will not need stain...
How to Make Black Car Paint Shine
Making black car paint shine is actually a function of car polish. Many individuals mistakenly believe that car wax makes black paint...