Well-maintained shoes add polish to anyone's wardrobe, showing off the wearer's fastidiousness and attention to detail. Keeping your shoes clean also extends their life, but store-bought shoe polishes and cleaners take a toll on the wallet and the environment alike. Sidestep these products with your own homemade shoe cleaning solutions. In contrast to store-bought options, homemade shoe cleaning solutions are less toxic and easier on the environment.
Things You'll Need
- Pot or microwave safe container with cover
- Oven or microwave
- Stirring spoon
- 4 oz. beeswax
- ½ cup liquid soap
- ¼ cup linseed oil
- ¼ cup turpentine
- Small covered container
- ½ cup olive, walnut or vegetable oil
- Lemon juice
Heat 1/2 pt. of water in a pot on the stove top or in the microwave using a microwave-safe container. Heat it until the water is hot, but not boiling.
Add 4 oz. of beeswax to the hot water.
Stir the beeswax into the water, allowing it to melt further. Mix 1/2 cup of liquid soap into the beeswax and water.
Allow the mixture to cool.
Add 1/4 cup of linseed oil and 1/4 cup of turpentine to the solution and stir thoroughly.
Store the solution in a covered container at room temperature.
Olive Oil Solution
Pour 1/2 cup of olive oil into a container. Substitute walnut or vegetable oil, if olive oil is not available.
Add a few drops of lemon juice.
Stir the mixture thoroughly.
Cover with a lid and store at room temperature.
Tips & Warnings
- In a pinch, rub leather shoes with the inside of a banana peel and buff them with a paper towel.
- Petroleum jelly serves as a polish for leather shoes, preventing them from cracking and drying.
- Don't apply homemade shoe cleaning solutions to suede or nubuck shoes.
- Photo Credit PhotoObjects.net/PhotoObjects.net/Getty Images candle 2 image by Anton Chernenko from Fotolia.com olive oil image by Peter Baxter from Fotolia.com
How to Make Sneakers
Sneakers have emerged as one of the most popular types of footwear in the last century. Originally, they were exclusively popular with...
- How to Make Homemade Shoes
- How to Clean Suede Shoes With Oil
Homemade Sneaker Cleaner
A collection of concoctions and home remedies for effectively cleaning sneakers with safe and all-natural household ingredients.