Clearing out clutter in your home and organizing the things you use and care about improves the flow of energy in your life, according to Karen Kingston, the author of "Clear Your Clutter With Feng Shui." Organizing your drawers provides the benefit of finding what you want faster. The key to organization is to group similar items and use storage systems, advises the University of Illinois Extension. Within an hour -- two hours for a lot of out-of-date clothes or organizing someone else -- your chest of drawers will be a convenient system for storing items you actually use.
Things You'll Need
- Drawer dividers
- Compartment dividers
Put compartment dividers in the two top drawers for underwear and socks. Compartment dividers also work well for small accessories or ties. Gently roll each tie and place one in each compartment.
Fold T-shirts, undershirts, camisoles and other tops and stack them neatly in the next drawer. Put long-sleeved undershirts in one stack, regular T-shirts in the middle and sleeveless tops and tanks at one end.
Fold sweat pants, sweat shirts, tights and exercise or gardening clothes and stack them in the next drawer.
Fold pajamas, nightgowns, nightshirts, oversize T-shirts, extra robes and other nighttime outfits and stack them in the next drawer.
Stack sweaters, swimsuits or other items you don't use often in the bottom drawer.
Tips & Warnings
- Box out-of-season items, label the box "Spring and Summer" or "Fall and Winter" and put the box on the top shelf of a closet. This keeps your chest of drawers up to date with items that you're currently using.
- If space is limited, under-bed storage boxes work well for putting off-season items out of the way.
- Use the sorting process as an opportunity to box up items you no longer use and give them to charity. This removes clutter from your life and benefits your community.
- Remove stained or damaged clothing and make it into cleaning rags. T-shirts and other soft fabrics work well for polishing furniture.
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Polka Dot/Getty Images
How to Organize Clothes
Looking through your closet for your favorite pair of jeans shouldn't mean you have to spend an hour digging through a disorganized...
How to Organize Clothes Drawers
Organized clothes drawers can save you time in the early morning chaos before work or school and reduce your stress levels. Purchased...
How to Organize a Tool Chest
If you have ever done home improvement projects, then you've probably accumulated tools and other items that you needed along the way....
How to Design & Build a Chest of Drawers
Learn how to build a chest of drawers with these simple instructions in this free DIY woodworking video.
How to Design Drawers for a Chest of Drawers
Learn how to design drawers for a dresser in this free DIY woodworking video.
How to Organize Clothing Drawers
Organizing clothes drawers is a great way to save space, and having a designated drawer for underwear, socks, workout clothes, T-shirts and...