Bread machines give you the ability to produce high-quality breads with little effort. Homemade rye bread tends to rise poorly, due to its low gluten content. By adding bread flour, to increase the gluten content, and using a bread machine, you can easily enjoy the taste of homemade rye bread. If you prefer a darker rye bread, substitute whole wheat flour for half of the white flour.
Things You'll Need
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 2 tsp. active dry yeast
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. barley malt
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 cup rye flour
- 1 tbsp. caraway seeds
Place the ingredients in the bread pan. Add ingredients in the order suggested by the bread machine's instruction manual. All ingredients should be at room temperature prior to baking, according to the University of Kentucky.
Lower the bread pan into the bread machine. Program the bread machine for a basic bread and medium baking cycle. Start the bread machine and allow it to fully bake the rye bread. The machine will let the bread rise before baking it.
Remove the bread pan from the bread machine--wear oven mitts to do this. Turn the bread out of the pan and onto cooling racks or a counter top. Allow the bread to cool before serving.
Tips & Warnings
- Use only fresh yeast to ensure the successful rise of your rye bread. Older yeast is less active and may result in a flat, dense bread.
- Instead of olive oil, substitute 2 tbsp. of unsalted butter. Butter gives the bread richer flavor than olive oil.
- For a lighter rye bread, increase the bread flour by 1/2 cup and decrease the rye flour to 1/2 cup.
- Bread flour contains a higher gluten content than all-purpose flour and helps the rye flour to rise and hold the bread's shape, according to the University of Kentucky.
- Rye flour is available at most grocery and health food stores. Choose the freshest available flour.
- Add 1/4 cup of onions for extra flavor, according to Hofstra University.
- Do not exceed the maximum volume of ingredients added to the bread machine that is recommended by the manufacturer.
- Photo Credit John A. Rizzo/Photodisc/Getty Images
How to Make Rye Bread
Rye bread is an interesting blend of spices and ingredients which most people feel must be complicated, but it's not as tough...
How to Make Quick Rye Bread
When making quick rye bread be sure to use dry yeast, flour, shortening, sugar, salt, milk and water for all the proper...
How to Make Bread Without a Machine
Making bread without a machine can be done with a lot more work from the cook's hands and by having more patience....