Microwavable popcorn is quick to make, but it's easy to leave it in the microwave for a little too long and burn it. The smell of burnt popcorn lingers in the microwave long after you take the bag out. It often takes several hours or even days to get the smell of burnt popcorn out of your microwave. But there are solutions. You can remove the odor quickly with the right products.
Things You'll Need
- 2 tbsp. ground coffee
- Coffee mug
- Small microwavable bowl
- Large microwavable bowl
- 20 to 30 drops of lemon or vanilla extract
Pour 2 tbsp. of ground coffee into a coffee mug. Add 1/2 cup of water.
Place the mug in a small microwavable bowl and sit it in the microwave. Heat the coffee on high for two minutes.
Remove the bowl and mug from the microwave. The coffee should have absorbed the odors and eliminated the smell.
Fill a large microwavable bowl with 1 cup of water if the smell persists. Add 20 to 30 drops of lemon or vanilla extract. Place it in the microwave and heat it on high for about two to three minutes to bring the water to a boil. Let it cool off in the microwave for 15 minutes, remove it carefully and wipe down the walls of the microwave with a rag.
Tips & Warnings
- Leave the microwave door open for a couple of hours to air out the microwave.
- Vinegar can also be used to remove burnt popcorn smell from a microwave. Fill a small bowl halfway full with white vinegar. Put it in the microwave for three to four minutes on high until it steams. Let it sit in the microwave for 10 minutes, and then wipe out the microwave with a rag.
- Photo Credit popcorn image by Eric E from Fotolia.com