The dentistry industry has developed several cosmetic and healthy approaches to teeth staining and repair and one option is the porcelain veneer. Porcelain veneers are thin layers of porcelain material that cover a tooth that has been stained or damaged, creating the appearance of a whole and perfectly white tooth. These veneers may start off white but like regular teeth can become stained or deteriorated over time. Keeping the veneers clean keeps your mouth looking and feeling healthy.
Things You'll Need
- Soft-bristle toothbrush
- Fluoride toothpaste
- Alcohol-free mouthwash
Brush your teeth with a soft-bristle toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste. Avoid abrasive toothpastes such as extra-whitening pastes, which can damage the porcelain. Brush at least twice per day.
Pay special attention to your gum lines when you clean your teeth. Food buildup along the gum line is harder to get to and can diminish the porcelain or the bond between your teeth and porcelain over time.
Floss your teeth at least once per day, preferably before bedtime. Floss after every meal if possible to remove food buildup along the gum line and between teeth.
Rinse your mouth with alcohol-free mouthwash that contains fluoride for at least 30 seconds per day or as needed for extra cleaning or fresh breath. Do not use a wash that contains alcohol, which will weaken the porcelain and the bonds holding the veneers in place.
Tips & Warnings
- Use an electric toothbrush for extra cleaning power.
- Effective cleaning practices do not replace regular dental visits. You should see your dentist at least once per year, preferably twice per year, for regular checkups and thorough cleanings.
- Excessive use of tobacco and dark pigmented food and drink can stain your veneers. Avoid these products and avoiding biting into hard objects like candy or tough packages, as these can chip the veneers.
- Photo Credit teeth image by DXfoto.com from Fotolia.com
How to Drink Alcohol
So, you decided to ignore all advice about never drinking and experience what it is like. It is irresponsible to encourage you...
- How to Clean Dental Veneers
How to Clean Porcelain
Porcelain ware will never look its best if it's streaked and stained. Here's how to do basic maintenance.
- How to Bleach Porcelain Veneers