The key to mixing a deliciously refreshing margarita is simplicity. The famous drink is far-too-often over-sweetened with sugary syrups and mixes that greatly overpower the foundation of the margarita, tequila. Clear tequila, fresh-squeezed key lime juice, orange liqueur, such as triple sec or Cointreau, a little bit of sugar and plenty of ice are all it takes to create a classic margarita. This basic recipe is perfect for your next get-together, and it can be easily personalized to your specific tastes.
Things You'll Need
- 2 oz. blanco, silver or reposado tequila
- 1 oz. triple sec/orange liqueur
- 1 oz. key lime juice
- Kosher salt
- Lime wedge
- Shaking tin
- Margarita glass
Prepare your margarita glass by rimming it with kosher salt, then filling it with ice.
Juice limes to produce 1 oz. of fresh juice. Add lime juice, tequila, triple sec/orange liqueur and a spoonful of sugar to a shaker tin filled halfway with ice.
Shake and strain into the margarita glass. Garnish with a wedge of lime.
Tips & Warnings
- For a more authentic margarita, use agave nectar, a natural Mexican sweetener that may be used in the place of sugar.
- Unless you are a tequila aficionado, there is no need to make margaritas with very expensive tequila. The mix of sweet and sour tastes help to disguise the taste of tequila.
- Using a "gold" tequila, such as Jose Cuervo, is not recommended. It often makes the drink too sweet due to the added caramel.
- Photo Credit glowing margarita image by Trevor Goodwin from Fotolia.com
How to make a Cointreau Margarita
Good quality ingredients and balance will produce the perfect margarita every time. A salted rim is recommended, but optional.
How to Make the World's BEST Key Lime Cake
Key lime juice or zest can be used to make a number of tasty desserts, from ice cream to cheesecake to the...