A homeowner who has a deck actually has an extension of her house: You can think of the deck as an extra room that allows enjoyment of the outdoors. However, decks are not like actual rooms, since they are exposed to the elements. Because decks are outside, you need to protect yours. One way to help protect your deck is to stain its surface. Staining a deck is a project that any homeowner can undertake.
Things You'll Need
- Bucket of water with detergent
- Deck scrub brush
- Stain ( the clearer the better, this allows the natural cedar color to come through)
- 4-Inch natural hair brush
Clean the entire deck with soap and water. Use the scrub brush to remove particles. Rinse the deck off and allow to dry thoroughly.
Stain the deck. To do this start at the farthest possible point from the exterior door that leads into the house or the farthest point from the steps that lead off the deck into the yard; plot your path so that you do not paint yourself into a corner. The best way to do this is to make sure your end point is one of the exits from the deck.
Apply the stain in the direction of the grain of the wood. Do not go against the grain, which would cause bubbling and destroy the brush. Allow the stain to dry for 24 hours. Apply a second coat of stain. This is important if the deck is open to sunshine for a long period of time during the day.
Tips & Warnings
- Make sure that you are going to have at least two days of dry weather when you tackle this cedar deck staining project.
- "Building a Deck: Expert Advice From Start to Finish (Taunton's Build Like a Pro),"; Scott Schuttner; 2002
- Photo Credit Deck de madeira image by CarlosNeto from Fotolia.com
- How Long Should a Person Wait to Stain a Cedar Deck?
How to Prepare a Cedar Deck for Stain
While the real work comes when you begin staining, preparing your deck to receive the stain will contribute greatly to the finished...
How to Stain a Cedar Deck With Sikkens
Now that you've completed your new cedar deck, it's time to apply a coat of stain. You've chosen to use Sikkens stain,...
- How to Stain Cedar Siding
What Is the Best Way to Protect a Wood Deck?
A wood deck a major outdoor investment that adds value, aesthetic appeal and increased outdoor living space to the house. Although a...
The Best Stain for a Deck
Determining the best type of deck stain to use depends mainly on whether your deck has been previously treated and its level...
The Best Way to Wash Cedar Wood
Cedar wood is a beautiful and practical choice for decks, outdoor furniture or even siding for your home. It can either be...