Mold thrives in moist, dark conditions and feeds on organic materials, including wood, cotton, paper, drywall and linen. Mold is unlikely to grow on clean glass window panes because there is no food source. However, mold grows on dirty glass, as well as the wood frames around windows. According to the Centers for Disease Control all molds, including black mold, can potentially cause health problems including headaches, nausea, cold symptoms and respiratory illness. Clean up mold quickly before it spreads.
Things You'll Need
- 8 tbsp. trisodium phosphate (TSP) (available at janitorial supply stores)
- 1 cup chlorine bleach
- Scrub brush
- Paint scraper
- Mold-resistant paint
Mix 8 tablespoons trisodium phosphate with 1 gallon warm water. Scrub window panes and wood frames with mixture to remove all black mold. Allow to dry thoroughly.
Strip the paint or varnish from the wood frames if you suspect the mold has reached underneath the finish. Mix 8 tablespoons trisodium phosphate with 1 cup bleach and 1 gallon warm water. Scrub the area thoroughly to remove and destroy mold spores.
Thoroughly dry the wood by running a fan or turning up the heat. Paint the wood frame with a mold-resistant paint.
Tips & Warnings
- Prevent mold growth by drying the air through fans and dehumidifiers. Caulk windows to prevent moisture from entering the house.
- Keep windows clean to prevent mold growth.
- Hire a professional to remove large mold infestations (larger than10 square feet).
- Always wear rubber gloves, a respirator and goggles when removing mold.
- Don't use mold-resistant paint on areas accessible to young children, as it is harmful when ingested.
- Photo Credit window image by horacio villamonte from Fotolia.com
How to Remove Mold From Wood Window Frames
One of the main causes of mold is excess moisture. Rain, dew and snow can seep through cracks or poor sealant in...
How to Kill Mold on a Window Sill
Mold is a fungi that grows in damp or humid areas. It can grows on just about anything, including your window sill....
How to Clean Mold Off Glass
Surfaces that are exposed to moisture and warm conditions often become hosts to mold. Mold belongs to the fungus family and can...
Problems With Leaking Windows in a House
A number of problems can cause a window to leak in a house, such as installation, maintenance as well as home construction....