It has happened to nearly everyone; one of your red socks ended up in a load of whites and now you've got a pile of pink laundry. Removing dye that has bled in the washer is tricky, but not impossible. Choose your stain removing weapon based on the original color of the garments and don't use chlorinated bleach on dark colors.
Things You'll Need
- Heavy duty liquid detergent
- Chlorinated bleach
- Color safe bleach or oxygenated stain remover
- Large bucket
Pour 1/2 cup heavy duty liquid laundry detergent into a large bucket. Add 1/2 cup bleach and fill the bucket with very hot water.
Soak white clothing in the water for 15 minutes. Empty the bucket and rinse the clothes. According to the Iowa State University Extension Office, soaking clothing in chlorine bleach longer than 15 minutes will not remove any more of the stain, but will weaken the fabric.
Fill a bucket with hot water and add heavy duty liquid detergent and 1/2 cup color-safe bleach or oxygenated stain remover.
Soak colored or dark clothes in the bucket for 30 to 60 minutes. Dump the water out, rinse the clothing and wash it as normal in your washing machine.
Tips & Warnings
- Always treat the stain as quickly as you can.
- Don't put the clothing in the dryer until you've removed the stain (or given up).
- Always wash new clothing like jeans and items with bright colors by themselves in cold water to remove any excess dye.
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Polka Dot/Getty Images
- How to Treat Mixed-Wash Accidents
- How to Remove Color Bleeding on Clothing Naturally
How to Fix Colors That Bleed on a Swimming Suit
Clothes can be completely ruined if the colors bleed. Unfortunately, this happens all too often. Clothes with bright colors should always be...
How to Prevent Red Laundry
Some garments and fabrics are dyed with pigments that tend to bleed onto other clothing if you're not careful. Red garments are...
How to Remove Fabric Bleeding Stains From Clothing
Unfortunately, some articles of new clothing do not receive proper dye setting and may bleed onto your skin or other clothing. Bleeding...
- How to Get Color Bleed Stains Out of Clothes
How to Remove Colors That Bled Onto Whites
If you accidentally wash a colored piece of clothing with your pile of white clothing, the white clothes can pick up the...
- How to Remove Colors That Ran in the Wash
What to Do if Laundry Colors Bleed
What to do if clothing colors bleed. Learn how to wash colored laundry in this free video on cleaning clothes.
Laundry Tips for Color Bleeding
Bleeding colors is a laundry problem that many dread because it can ruin clothing. There are methods to prevent color bleeding from...