Viking offers several kinds of kitchen appliances for residential and commercial use. Viking ranges come in many styles and colors, some with griddles and some without. Griddles allow cooking directly on the stove top, without dirtying extra pots or pans. When it comes to cleaning the griddle afterward, it is often much easier than you may think. As long as you follow the manufacturer’s instructions for using the griddle, cleaning and maintaining it are not difficult.
Things You'll Need
- White vinegar
- Scrubbing pad
- Club soda at room temperature
Mix 1 qt. of water with 1/4 cup of white distilled vinegar, if this is the first time this griddle is to be cleaned. Vikingrange.com suggests using a scrubbing pad to scrub this solution over the griddle.
Dry the griddle with a towel after initially cleaning the griddle with the water and vinegar. Next, wash it with soapy water (you can use a sponge soaked in 1 tsp. of dish detergent in a bowl of warm water). Rinse it with clean, warm water and dry with a towel.
Season your griddle after the initial cleaning. Vikingrange.com suggests using a cloth to apply 1 tsp. of vegetable oil (unsalted). Allow the oil to sit for an hour and then wipe off excess with a clean cloth.
Clean your griddle with club soda, as suggested by vikingrange.com, after heavy use (for example, after cooking very greasy items or if food is stuck to the griddle). To do so, pour the club soda slowly onto the griddle. The griddle should still be slightly warm and the soda should be room temperature--not cold. Use a spatula to push debris toward the grease trap--soap and water is not necessary for everyday cleaning.
Tips & Warnings
- You should re-season your griddle each time you clean it (especially if you use dish detergent and water) to protect the finish.
- Viking also offers a cleaning kit for its griddles.
- Vikingrange.com warns against pouring cold water on a hot griddle. Doing so can warp the griddle.
- Vikingrange.com also advises against using cooking spray or corn oil on your griddle, as these can burn on the surface and are difficult to clean off.
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Polka Dot/Getty Images
How to Clean a Commercial Griddle
Keeping a commercial griddle clean will help keep the food you cook on it taste fresh. It also has major health ramifications....
How to Troubleshoot a Viking Range With Griddle Problems
Viking offers griddles, also known as simmer plates, as a feature or an option on many of its commercial and residential range...