Jewelry from the high-end jeweler Tiffany's is typically made of gold and/or sterling silver--both of which can be cleaned easily at home using a few simple supplies.
Things You'll Need
- Gentle dish soap (liquid)
- Warm water
- Bowl or other small container
- Gentle toothbrush
- Soft cloth
- Toothpaste, baking soda, or commercial silver cleaning solution
How to Clean Gold Jewelry
Mix a small amount of gentle liquid soap into a bowl or other small container of warm tap water.
Place your gold jewelry into the soapy water, and let it sit for a few minutes.
Remove your jewelry from the soapy water and scrub it carefully with a soft toothbrush.
Thoroughly rinse your gold jewelry under warm tap water, removing all soap residue.
After rinsing your jewelry, dry and buff it using a very soft cloth. This final step helps to remove any leftover soap residue, and prevents water spots from forming. Your gold jewelry is now clean, and ready to wear!
How to Clean Sterling Silver Jewelry
Cover your sterling silver jewelry with non-abrasive toothpaste, a baking soda paste (baking soda mixed with a small amount of water), or a commercial silver cleaning solution.
Rub chosen cleaning product onto the jewelry, either using your fingers or a very soft brush.
Rinse sterling silver jewelry under warm tap water, removing all cleaning solution.
Finish cleaning your sterling silver jewelry by rubbing it dry and buffing it with a very soft cloth.
Tips & Warnings
- Choose your brush and cloths very carefully, ensuring that they are gentle enough not to scratch your precious metal jewelry. If your jewelry has stones or gems set into the metal, you might want to ask a professional jeweler about cleaning before you begin the at-home cleaning process. Stones can sometimes come loose in water, depending on the way in which they were originally set into the metal, so before you clean your jewelry at home you will want to be sure that any set stones will be safe throughout the cleaning process.
- Photo Credit Matthew Peyton/Getty Images Entertainment/Getty Images
How to Clean Tiffany Silver Jewelry
Silver jewelry is elegant and beautiful, and when it's polished regularly, it retains that right-from-the-jeweler shine. Here are several easy ways to...
How to Tell a Real Tiffany's Necklace From a Faux
A real Tiffany's necklace is an iconic piece of popular culture made popular by Elle Wood's pink-clad, sorority girl protagonist in "Legally...
How to Clean a Silver Bracelet
If you wear a silver bracelet often, tarnish won't develop, but if it does, a gentle cleanse with liquid soap and warm...
How to Clean Silver Necklaces
People have been wearing silver jewelry for thousands of years. The most common problem that people face with silver necklaces is that...
How to Find an Appraisal for a Tiffany Necklace
Tiffany & Co. is one of the most recognizable jewelry companies in the world. Started in 1837 by Charles Lewis Tiffany and...