If you want to create a simple gift, then consider making your own decorated soaps. You can use plain Ivory soap from the store to make specially designed soaps. If you want to make crafting soap a hobby, then you should consider purchasing glycerin. Manufacturers use glycerin to create the common name- brand soaps available at your local convenience store. However, melting Ivory soap is a fast method for making decorative soaps.
Things You'll Need
- 1 to 2 bars plain clear Ivory soap
- Double boiler
- One-quarter cup warm water
- Essential oil
- Candy thermometer
- Soap dye
- Silicone spray
- Candy molds
Grate the soap with a kitchen grater. Place it in a double boiler. Slowly begin to melt the Ivory soap.
Once the soap melts, add one-quarter cup of warm water. Gently stir the water into the melted soap.
Add a few drops of essential oil. Try not to exceed more than 3 percent of essential oil by volume. Stir the essential oil into the soap mixture. Do not allow the mixture to get too hot or it will scorch. Try to keep it at or below 200 degrees.
Use soap dye to add color to your decorative soap. Only use soap dye when making your own soap. Do not use food coloring, RIT dye or candle dyes.
Spray the candy molds with silicone spray. This will allow you to remove the decorative soap easily once it hardens. Pour the soap into the candy molds.
Allow the soap to set until it hardens. Remove the soap and allow it to cure for 24 to 48 hours.
Tips & Warnings
- Instead of candy molds, use cookie cutters to create decorative soaps. Roll out Play-Doh until it is one-quarter of an inch thick. Gently press a metal cookie cutter into the Play-Doh, and pour the melted soap mixture into the cookie cutter. Once the soap sets, you can cut away the excess Play-Doh and remove the soap from the cookie cutter.
- It is important to grate the soap before you melt it because Ivory soap will expand when it is heated due to the trapped air inside the soap.
How to Make Cupcake Soap
Making cupcake soap is fun and relatively easy. A piece of cake, as it were. It's a great way to recycle bits...
How to Make Beer Soap
Beer is very good for the skin when applied directly to it.The hops in it soothe irritated skin, the polyphenols in beer...
How to Make Homemade Soap
Homemade soap is an ideal birthday present, teacher or hostess gift or wedding shower favor. Glycerine soap base comes in a few...
- How to Make Bar Soap Into Liquid Soap in a Container
Melting and molding soap has never been so easy. Learn what you need in order to melt soap from our soap expert...