Paper blinds are an inexpensive and easy way to create a temporary window covering when you move into a new home or are in the midst of changing your decor. Paper blinds can also create privacy and reduce the amount of sunlight that enters a room. They are also the ideal window covering for minimalist-style decor. You can make paper blinds for an entire room in just one afternoon.
Things You'll Need
- For a 24-inch wide window, 36 to 45 inches long:
- 50-inch by 24-inch sheet of paper
- 2 pieces of balsa wood that measure 24 inches by 1 inch by 1/4 inch
- Double-sided tape
- 2 clothespins
Lay the sheet of paper flat on a table. Mark every inch on the two long sides of the paper with a small dot. The dot should be so small you can hardly see it.
Using the pencil dots as guidelines, fold the paper accordion style, starting at the bottom.
Cut three 24-inch pieces of double-sided tape.
Put one piece of sticky tape on the bottom of the blind. Fold over once, so that one end is doubled paper.
Fix the very top segment of the blind to one piece of the balsa using the sticky tape. Stick one piece of tape to the top of the window frame where the blind will hang. Place the blind in the window and let the blind fall down naturally.
Raise the blind to your desired position and pin in place with clothespins.
Tips & Warnings
- Make sure the creases are sharp by running a ruler lightly along each crease.
- Adjust the measurements of the paper and dowel to make larger or smaller blinds.
- Large reels of paper can be found at office supply stores. For individual, large sheets, ask at your local Kinko's.
- The adhesive will pull old paint off. If you don't want to risk removing paint along with the blind, consider screwing the wood into the window frame instead of using adhesive.
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Goodshoot/Getty Images
How to Make Paper Dolls
A throwback to childhood play, these paper dolls are fun for any age. Use our templates to create your own customized dolls...
How to make a cube/dice out of paper
Are you bored and have some extra time on your hands? Or do you need to entertain someone for a spell? Well,...
How to Make a Paper Hat
The perfect party hat can add fun and pizzazz to your outfit or party décor. Whether you are throwing a holiday party,...
How to Make Inexpensive Window Blinds
Any room can become a spalike retreat with the clean, crisp look of woven straw or bamboo shades. Purchasing ready-made shades can...
How to Make a Paper Airplane
Making a unique paper airplane that looks great and flies well can be a fun project to share with friends. This is...