The task of removing old paint can prove even more unattractive than the paint itself. However, providing a clean surface makes up an essential part of preparing the site for a new paint job or other decorative plans. Remove existing paint with a grinder to make the process easier and less time-consuming.
Things You'll Need
- Respirator mask
- Protective gloves
- Protective eyewear
- Electric grinder
- Metal brush
Wear a respirator mask to protect yourself from fumes and dust---especially if working with lead-based paint. Put on protective eyewear and gloves as well.
Attach a metal brush that fits your paint grinder.
"Power on" the grinder and move the brush back and forth against the surface from which you want to remove the paint.
To remove paint more quickly, press the button that allows for depth control to allow the brush to make deep contact with the surface, providing an abrasive contact.
Rub the surface with mineral spirit (a paint-thinning solvent to remove paint from surfaces) to finish the job.
Rub dry with a clean cloth.
Tips & Warnings
- Shine a work light on your project is a good addition, especially in darker areas. This helps with visibility as old paint flies away and dust collects.
- Use gloves or a scraper if you need to touch or remove anything from your work surface, which may become extremely hot.
- Take frequent breaks to allow the work surface to cool.
- Clean your grinder after every use to keep it working in prime condition.
- Wear eye protection even if your grinder has a built-in eye shield; sparks, metal pieces, paint debris and dust can still enter your eyes.
- Tie back any loose hair, and avoid loose clothing that could get caught underneath the grinder.
- Do not force the grinder to remove tough paint, as it can cause unwanted or unexpected damage.
How to Remove Latex Paint from Carpet
That "oops" you heard during that painting project in the other room is bad news - latex paint can ruin a carpet....
How to Strip Deck Paint
How to Strip Deck Paint. Give your deck a face-lift that will make a huge visual improvement. Stripping off old finishes like...
How to Remove Paint From a Porch
There are times when you may want to remove all the paint from your front porch, instead of just scraping the few...
How to Paint a Metal Railing
Metal railing is subjected to the rigors of weather year round. To ensure that the metal railing remains safe and looks good,...
How to Mount a Grinding Wheel
Grinding wheels attach to the flanged spindles of a bench grinder. Correct installation of the grinding wheel(s) is essential to the safety...