Custom Christmas message signs not only display to the world your holiday spirit and cheer, but give you endless creative holiday decorating possibilities. You can quickly make, through several easy methods, beautiful signs that will last for many years to come.
Things You'll Need
- Poster board
- Christmas stencils
- Text stencils
- Colored pencils
- Desktop publishing software
- Label or sticker paper
- Glue stick
- Puzzle glue
- Rubber cement
- Artificial snow
- Coloring-book sheets
- Artificial icicles
Seek professional custom sign services such as BuildASign.com or SignsUS.com and follow the online instructions. You'll select sign material (for example, vinyl, metal, magnetic, plastic or wood) and customize your sign or choose a pre-designed Christmas message template; upload and edit an image, clipart and/or text; choose materials and order. In addition, seek out services offered by local sign or copy shops to make your signs.
Buy large sheets of poster board in varying widths and Christmas colors (for example, white, blue, red or green) and a large presentation or construction paper tablet.
Lay out your poster board, paper, colored pencils, markers and/or non-toxic paints and ask your family to help you make the signs. Distributing the work not only saves time, but can serve as a family project.
Use a desktop publishing program such as Microsoft Publisher. Select a "Signs" template and load images/graphics and position on a background color of your choice. You can edit with text, color/special effects and/or clipart. Once finished, print on 8-1/2-by-11-inch label or sticker paper and affix to poster board. (Keep in mind that you can also print individual images or text this way.) Cut and affix in layers.
Stencil a Christmas message ("Happy Holidays" "Merry Xmas" "Welcome Santa!" or "Let it Snow") on poster board. With your art supplies, apply the message to the board as an outline or fill using a combination of tools such as brushes, sponges or an airbrush. Use Christmas decoration stencils, such as holly leaves and berries or candy canes, to border and accent your message. You can also use alphabet and number stencils to add your family's surname, the year or other text.
Highlight your Christmas message signs with glitter or artificial snow. Gently glide a glue stick or brush puzzle glue or rubber cement along highlight areas and shake on the glitter or snow. Dry and then shake loose pieces into a container. Since puzzle glue dries clear, keep in mind that you can create imitation this way.
Punch or drill holes in your signs to hang them. Laminate when finished to protect and preserve them for future Christmas holiday decorating.
Tips & Warnings
- Emphasize hand-drawn text or pictures—especially by children—when making Christmas message signs, as their creativity and artwork will capture the youth and vitality associated with the holiday. In addition, give them coloring-book sheets with Christmas-themed images to decorate, cut out and glue onto your signs. (If you don't have coloring books, check out free coloring-book sheets on a free activity sheets website such as BlueBonkers in the Resources section.)
- If you like icicles, buy artificial string or loose molded plastic icicles, glue to the bottom of your sign and then apply artificial snow or glitter on top of the icicles to hide where they attach.
- How to Make a Christmas Card Wreath
- How to Make Christmas Light Yard Decorations
- Do-it-Yourself Yard Signs
Primitive Christmas Decorating Ideas
For a rustic country holiday look, fill your home with primitive-style Christmas decor. Primitive decorations add homespun flavor and nature-inspired detail to...
Easy Christmas Crafts for Elementary Students
Christmas is a holiday that offers a plethora of opportunities for elementary students to create crafts for decorations or gifts. These crafts...