In addition to being beautiful and usually handmade, silk rugs are extremely delicate and require a certain amount of special care and upkeep to maintain them. Your best strategy is prevention by protecting these rugs from as much wear and tear as possible. There are several simple things you can do to keep your silk rug looking clean and new.
Things You'll Need
- Clean Dry Cloth or Paper Towels Club Soda Baking Soda Vacuum Cleaner with Brush Attachment Vinegar Spray bottle
Clean spills immediately by blotting them up with a paper towel or clean cloth. Club soda is great for taking care of residual stains, but be careful not to use too much. Set the rug someplace cool and dry until it is no longer damp.
Sprinkle baking soda all over the rug and allow it to sit for at least an hour before sweeping it away using the brush attachment of the vacuum cleaner. This will help absorb any odors in the rug.
Mix a solution of equal parts vinegar and water in a spray bottle and lightly mist the rug. Use a dry, clean cloth to gently wipe the rug down. The slight acidity of vinegar will help to eliminate odors and germs.
Take the rug outside and shake it off to remove loose dust and debris and air it out periodically.
Tips & Warnings
- Keep your silk rug in a low-traffic area to give it a longer life span. For a thorough cleaning, take the rug to the dry cleaners and let the professionals take care of it.
- Hot water, abrasives and harsh chemicals can damage the rug.
- Photo Credit http://www.rugsoftheworld.net/Silk%20rugs%20and%20carpets.jpg
How to Clean a Chinese Rug
Most Chinese and Oriental rugs made today are constructed with materials that can be carefully cleaned by hand. Before spending a fortune...
- Fixing Moth Holes in Wool Suits
How to Clean Turkish Rugs
Turkish rugs usually refer to flat, woven carpets that come in a variety of colors and styles. Traditionally, they are woven from...
How to Clean a Chinese Silk Rug
A Chinese silk rug is a work of art. Handmade from fine silk fibers, they present a special challenge when it comes...