Mushrooms stuffed with crab meat are not only a tasty party snack--they're also low in carbohydrates, with only about 2 grams per serving. They can be prepared ahead and refrigerated until ready to bake. This recipe yields four servings.
Things You'll Need
- 8 oz. cream cheese Mixing bowl 8 oz. crab meat 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated 1/8 tsp. minced garlic 1/4 tsp. black pepper 1/8 tsp. kosher salt 1 tsp. poultry seasoning 1 tbsp. parsley, chopped Baking sheet Vegetable cooking spray 16 white button mushrooms Clean cloth 2 green onions Platter
Allow the cream cheese to reach room temperature, then transfer it to a mixing bowl. Add the crab meat, Parmesan cheese, minced garlic, black pepper, salt, poultry seasoning and chopped parsley, and mix well.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and coat a baking sheet with vegetable cooking spray.
Remove the stems from the mushrooms and wipe the mushroom caps clean with a damp cloth.
Stuff the crab and cream cheese filling into the mushroom caps and transfer them to the baking sheet, stuffing side up. After adding all the mushrooms, spray an additional coat of cooking spray over the baking sheet.
Place the baking sheet in the oven and cook the mushrooms for 18 to 20 minutes, or until tender. Slice the green onions into thin rings about 1/8 inch thick while the mushrooms bake.
Remove the baking sheet from the oven, and transfer the mushrooms to a platter. Sprinkle the green onions over the tops of the mushrooms, and serve immediately.
Tips & Warnings
- Always use real crab meat in this recipe. Artificial crab meat has a texture that will not blend well with the mushrooms. Garlic powder can be used in place of minced garlic. Substitute 1/4 tsp. of garlic powder for the 1/8 tsp. minced garlic.
- Never rinse or wash mushrooms directly in water. They will absorb the extra moisture and become spongy when baked.
- Book: George Stella's Livin' Low Carb: Family Recipes Stella Style; George Stella; 2004
- Photo Credit http://www.flickr.com/photos/kimberlykv/2395006391/
How to Make Stuffed Mushroom Caps
These stuffed mushrooms are a real party pleaser. Pass them on a tray or serve them as a side dish. Makes 16...
How to Make the Best Stuffed Mushrooms
Impress your guests with a gourmet appetizer at your next party or family gathering. Stuffed mushrooms taste great and look elegant but...
How to Bake Stuffed Portobello
When it comes to mushrooms, it doesn't get any bigger than the portobello mushroom. This giant mushroom has a meaty texture that...
- How Long Does It Take to Cook Stuffed Mushrooms?