Hydrogen peroxide is an effective household cleaner that can be used on a variety of surfaces and for a variety of cleaning purposes. Hydrogen peroxide can be used in place of bleach, mildew removers, floor cleaners and other cleaning agents. Hydrogen peroxide can be used safely on clothing, floors, bathroom fixtures, kitchen appliances and other household items.
Bleaches and other household cleaners can leave odors and toxic residue on surfaces. Hydrogen peroxide safely cleans without the smell, side effects or environmental damage. Hydrogen peroxide will leave your home refreshingly clean and bacteria free.
This article will show you how to remove mold and mildew stains from household surfaces using hydrogen peroxide.
Things You'll Need
- Hydrogen Peroxide 3 Percent Solution
- 1 quart or smaller spray bottle
- Scrubbing Brush
- Latex Gloves
Pour the hydrogen peroxide into a spray bottle. A spray bottle makes it easier to cover the moldy surface. It's a good idea to wear latex gloves while handling the hydrogen peroxide and while cleaning moldy surfaces.
Spot test the hydrogen peroxide before spraying on painted or colored surfaces. Hydrogen peroxide can fade colors in much the same way as bleach.
Spray the hydrogen peroxide on the moldy surface. Spray the surface heavily and make sure that the entire surface is saturated with the hydrogen peroxide. If you are spraying a vertical surface, such as a wall, spray from the bottom and work your way up. This way, any drips will fall on the already wet surface.
Let sit for 10 minutes. This allows the hydrogen peroxide to kill the mold.
Use a scrubbing brush to scrub away the mold and to remove the mold stains.
Wipe the area with a clean and damp sponge. Rinse the sponge often to keep it clean and to ensure that all of the mold and hydrogen peroxide residue are removed.
Store the spray bottle containing the hydrogen peroxide in a dark space. Hydrogen peroxide loses its effectiveness when exposed to light.
Tips & Warnings
- When cleaning moldy areas, do not touch the mold before spraying with hydrogen peroxide. Touching the moldy area will release the mold spores into the air and make it more difficult to keep mold problems manageable in the future. If an area has a significant amount of mold, wear a mask to avoid breathing in the mold spores.
- Do not swallow hydrogen peroxide or get it in your eyes. If this happens, get medical help or call a Poison Control Center. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) stated in its "Healthy Homes" publication that hydrogen peroxide can be used to kill mold, but that there is not sufficient research to recommend its use. HUD is unsure which molds hydrogen peroxide is effective against or what the health hazards may be from extensive use of hydrogen peroxide.
- Photo Credit Coletta Witherspoon
How to Clean Mildew From Grout
Mildew on grout is a common problem in high-moisture rooms such as bathrooms. Grout stained with mildew is unsightly and in severe...
How to Use Bleach to Remove Mold
You can use bleach and water to remove any mold spores from hard surfaces after you have fixed the cause of the...
How to Kill Black Mold With Hydrogen Peroxide
Mold is a serious problem that many homeowners deal with on a regular basis. Mold thrives and breeds in damp, dim and...
How to Use Peroxide for Mold Removal
Hydrogen peroxide does more than treat wounds. It can effectively destroy mold inside your home. For the ecologically conscious, hydrogen peroxide can...