Developing a theme for a birthday party makes the party more fun. Nearly every element of the party centers on the theme, including decorations, party location, food, goody bags and cake. When planning a campfire theme birthday, make this attention-grabbing campfire birthday cake and wow your guests. This birthday cake works well for child and adult birthday parties.
Things You'll Need
- 2 pound cakes
- 2 12-oz. containers of chocolate frosting
- 1 12-oz. container of vanilla frosting
- 1 roll of nontoxic orange cellophane
- Large stainless steel paper clips
- Large marshmallows
- Wooden skewers
- Knife and spatula
- Serving tray
Preparing the Campfire Birthday Cake Logs
Shave the corners of two rectangular pound cakes to create two cylindrical pound cakes. The pound cakes are your campfire birthday cake logs.
Cut a 1-inch slice off the end of one of the pound cakes. Cut a circular piece of cake from the slice with a diameter of 2 inches. This small piece of pound cake is your campfire birthday cake branch stub.
Frost your two pound cake logs with chocolate frosting. Do not frost the ends of the pound cakes. Lightly drag a fork down the pound cake logs through the frosting to create the look of bark on your campfire birthday cake logs.
Place the small pound cake piece on the side of one of the chocolate frosted pound cake logs. Frost the sides of the campfire birthday cake branch stub. Do not frost the end of the pound cake. Lightly drag a fork through the frosting of the branch stub.
Mix chocolate and vanilla frosting in a bowl. Combine the two frosting flavors until you create a tan color frosting. Frost each end of your campfire birthday cake logs and branch stub. Using your spatula, create swirls in the frosting on the ends to make tree rings.
Place the first campfire birthday cake log carefully on your serving tray. Prop the second cake log with the branch stub onto the first cake log. Add a little chocolate frosting to the bottom of the second cake log if pound cake is showing.
Decorating Your Campfire Birthday Cake
Unwrap your roll of nontoxic orange cellophane. Cut three or four squares out of the cellophane to create flames for your campfire birthday cake. The squares should measure approximately 8 by 8 inches.
Hold the center of one 8-by-8-inch cellophane sheet, and pull up the sides of the sheet. Place a paper clip on the center end of the cellophane campfire birthday cake flame. Repeat for each sheet of orange cellophane.
Place your campfire birthday cake flames on your cake logs by pressing the paper clip end of the flame into the frosting. Touch up the frosting as needed.
Place several large marshmallows around your campfire birthday cake. Cut two wooden skewers in half. Place one marshmallow on each skewer. Lay the skewered marshmallows against the campfire birthday cake as if someone were roasting marshmallows at a campfire.
Tips & Warnings
- Your branch stub should stick nicely to your frosted logs. However, you can use toothpicks to help the stub stick if necessary. Just remember to take them out before serving your campfire birthday cake.
- Use more of your orange cellophane by wrapping party favors in it and tying the cellophane closed with ribbon. Place the orange cellophane goody bags on the table surrounding the cake or at each place setting.
- As an alternative to cellophane to make flames, you can use fruit leather or curling ribbon.
- Be sure to use new or washed stainless steel paper clips to avoid contaminating your campfire birthday cake with germs, rust or dirt. Also make sure the paper clips are removed from the cake before serving.
- Make sure the cellophane you use is nontoxic and FDA approved for food use.
- Throw away the skewered marshmallows just in case splintered wood broke off inside.
- Remove the cellophane flames before placing and lighting candles on your campfire birthday cake.
- Photo Credit Photo courtesy of Sundeip Arora at stock.xchng.
How to Cook Pizza Over a Campfire
Enjoy pizza cooked over a campfire. Do the messy prep at home and assemble the pizza at your destination.
How to Make a Ladybug Birthday Cake
If you want to make a creative birthday cake for a child's birthday party, make a ladybug cake. Bake the ladybug's body...
How to Cook a Cake Over a Campfire
Camping is an inexpensive way to enjoy the outdoors. Cooking over a campfire is practical, and affords the opportunity to prepare foods...
Campfire Birthday Party Ideas
Camping gear and material gathered from the woods transform any party site into a camping site. Aim for a casual, relaxed atmosphere...