We love our pets and they are a big part of our daily lives. But they have the tendency to leave behind unwelcome scents in our homes. If this odor is not tended to promptly, it can create a greater problem. Removing pet odors from carpet proves challenging, but with a little know-how, the job is much easier. Performing carpet cleaning regularly helps keep odors under control. This task is made easier with the use of a few everyday products found in most homes.
Things You'll Need
- Vacuum cleaner
- Baking soda (one 16-oz. box and 1 cup)
- Steam cleaner rug machine
- 1 tsp. powdered cinnamon
- Small mixing bowl
- Shaker bottle
Vacuum the carpet thoroughly. Sprinkle one 16-oz. box of baking soda liberally over the entire area. Allow it to stand for one hour.
Vacuum the carpet again. Be sure to remove all of the baking soda.
Prepare your carpet shampooing machine according to directions. Thoroughly clean the carpet, using a good-quality pet stain shampoo. Allow to dry.
Make a homemade carpet freshener using 1 cup of baking soda and 1 tsp. of cinnamon. Mix thoroughly with a fork and store in a shaker bottle.
Apply to carpet and allow to stand for one hour before vacuuming thoroughly. Use in between regular carpet cleanings for a continuing fresh scent.
Tips & Warnings
- Use a fan to help dry carpets after cleaning.
- Keep pets and children out of the room with a baby gate.
- For heavier soiled carpet, allow the mixture to stand for several hours or overnight.
- Spot test a small area with the cleaning solution prior to using it on the entire rug. If the area becomes discolored, choose a different cleaner.
- Photo Credit Comstock/Comstock/Getty Images
How to Rid Carpets of Pet Odors
Do visiting friends know you have a dog--before Fido bounces into the room? Just because you have a pet doesn't mean your...
What to Use to Get Pet Smells Out of Carpet
A lot of people who don't have pets say that when they walk into a home, they can immediately smell pet-related odors....