A crumb cake has this name because of the use of a crumb topping and the slightly crumbly texture of the cake itself. Many crumb cakes pair well with a brunch or serve as a sweet snack option. By using a cake mix, you can cut down significantly on the amount of work necessary to make a crumb cake. You simply have to partially bake the cake mix, add a crumb topping and then finish baking to have a delicious cake.
Things You'll Need
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 2 cups flour
- 2 sticks butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 ½ tbsp. cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. vanilla
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 2 bowls
- Mixing spoon
- 9-by-13 baking pan
Mix the cake mix according to the box's directions.
Pour the cake mix into a 9x13 baking pan and bake for 20 minutes at the temperature indicated on the box.
Mix all of the other ingredients together in a bowl.
Remove the cake mix cake from the oven and cover with the crumb mixture.
Return to oven and bake for 20 more minutes.
Take the crumb cake out of the oven and serve hot.
- "Betty Crocker Ultimate Cake Mix Cookbook: Create Sweet Magic from a Mix (Betty Crocker Books)"; Betty Crocker Editors; 2004
- "Cake Keeper Cakes: 100 Simple Recipes for Extraordinary Bundt Cakes, Pound Cakes, Snacking Cakes and Other Good-To-The-Last-Crumb Treats"; Lauren Chattman; 2009
- "The Cake Mix Doctor Returns!: With 160 All-New Recipes"; Anne Byrn; 2009
- "101 Things to Do with a Cake Mix"; Stephanie Ashcraft; 2002
- Photo Credit Ablestock.com/AbleStock.com/Getty Images
How to Make Crumbs for Cakes
Perhaps more irresistible than the cake beneath them, the buttery crumbs nestled on top of a New York style crumb cake must...
How to Make a Homemade Cake Mix Recipe
It is very convenient to buy a cake mix at the store, as it will save you half of the preparation time....