Black mold is a fungi that typically grows in areas with relatively high humidity. It has been named for its distinctive greenish-black color, which is usually relatively easy to spot. Mold is potentially very harmful and can cause respiratory problems in both humans and pets. Getting rid of it typically involves using bleach or borax, but these can create harmful fumes and therefore need to be used with extreme caution. Fortunately, there's an easier and natural alternative that requires only a simple household item.
Things You'll Need
- Dust mask or respirator
- Rubber gloves
- Spray bottle
- Distilled white vinegar
Put on your dust mask and rubber gloves. Black mold can cause respiratory problems if inhaled, so it's best to avoid breathing it in or touching it.
Determine the source of the black mold. Black mold is caused by excessive moisture, so look for leaks in pipes, walls or roof. If an area is just extra humid, set up a dehumidifier. It's essential to contain the cause before removing mold.
Fill a spray bottle with distilled white vinegar.
Spray generous amounts of vinegar onto the black mold. Allow it to sit for at least half an hour to an hour.
Soak a washcloth in warm water and wipe away the vinegar that you sprayed previously. Let it dry for a few hours.
Repeat the process every other day to ensure that black mold stays away for good.
- Photo Credit BananaStock/BananaStock/Getty Images
How to Use Vinegar to Remove Mold Stain
Molds are microorganisms that can grow on almost any moist surface. Basements, crawl spaces and damp clothing are common places where mold...
Can You Use Vinegar to Kill Mold?
Vinegar has a lot uses, many of which involve cooking, but vinegar can also kill mold within the house if used properly....
Does a Vinegar & Bleach Mix Kill Mold?
Vinegar is an effective mold killer, as is bleach. However, these two chemicals should be used separately to rid surfaces of mold....