Glass surfaces are everywhere, from windows to table tops. Keeping those surfaces clean and streak free adds to the beauty. While you can purchase any number of cleaning products to polish glass, using regular household products can give you the shine and polish you desire and save you money.
Things You'll Need
- Lint free cloth
- White vinegar
- 2 empty spray bottles
Fill one spray bottle with regular household ammonia. Fill the other with white vinegar.
Spray down the glass surface with ammonia. Wipe the surface with the lint free cloth, using even strokes either horizontally or vertically. This will remove grime, dust and smoke from the glass.
Crumple several sheets of newspaper. Spray the surface with white vinegar and use the newspaper to polish the surface until it is streak free. Again, use even strokes in the same direction.
Wipe the entire surface one last time with a lint free cloth. This should remove any remaining streaks and leave the surface clear and shiny.
Tips & Warnings
- Open windows in your home when cleaning glass surfaces. The ammonia smell can be overwhelming without fresh air circulating in a room.
- Old cloth baby diapers make great window and glass cleaning rags.
- For stubborn stains, such as those found on microwave and oven doors, rub a paste made from baking soda and water on the grime. Allow this to sit for a few minutes and then wash with soapy water and a sponge to remove the grime.
- Paper towels can be substituted for the cloth or the newspaper. For large surfaces, this might not be the most economical way to go.
- For large windows like patio doors, start at the top and work down with each process.
How to Polish a Glass Windshield
General wear from the elements can make your windshield dirtier than you might think. Mineral deposits, road oils, pollution and a variety...
Dremel Glass Polishing
If you have a small glass project you want to polish like a glass bulb for a light fixture, you can use...
How to Clean Old Window Glass
Old window glass can add a vintage look to a home of any age. The imperfections in the glass enhance the window...
Homemade Glass Polish
Your home sparkles when you use glass polish and cleaner. Shiny glass picture frames, TV screens, mirrors, windows and glass sculptures make...