If you have curly hair and want to perm it straight, there are plenty of home kits you can use to do this yourself. Following the directions is crucial for the health of your hair. You can then have the straight style you've always wanted without flat irons and worrying about humidity.
Things You'll Need
- Perm kit
- Protective gloves
- Plastic hair clips
- Rat tail comb
Divide your hair into four sections using the pointed end of a rat tail comb.
Beginning at the back of your head, start with a section of hair about 1 inch wide. Hold the rest of your hair out of the way with hair clips.
Wearing protective gloves, apply the perm to your hair in liberal portions, beginning at the roots. Be careful not to get the perm on your scalp.
Smooth the perm all the way down the hair section to the ends. Work quickly, but thoroughly.
Repeat Steps 3 and 4 for all of your hair, working on 1-inch sections at a time. Smooth your hair flat, but don't comb it unless the directions specify to do so.
Leave the perm on for the recommended amount of time.
Wash the perm out of your hair by first rinsing with warm water. Follow with neutralizing shampoo, which should be in your perm kit. It's important to use a neutralizing shampoo because Regular shampoo doesn't stop the chemicals from acting on your hair and can lead to serious hair loss.
Tips & Warnings
- A perm is permanent. Once your hair is chemically straightened, it will remain straight. You can only get rid of permed straight hair by cutting it away.
- Follow the directions on the box completely.
- If your scalp begins to burn, rinse the perm out of your hair immediately and apply the neutralizing shampoo.
- If your perm is sodium-hydroxide or calcium-hydroxide based, do not apply it over previously permed hair. The perm should only be applied to new growth.
- Don't apply color to your hair on the same day you perm it. Normally, you're advised to wait 2 weeks between chemical treatments like perm and color.
Types of Perm Rods
Achieving different hairstyles is often difficult if your hair is completely straight or if it lacks body. Perms are a way to...
Straightening Hair With a Perm Solution
Straightening hair with a perm solution requires finding a product made with ammonium thioglycolate, the active ingredient in all perming solutions, and...