How to Pan-Fry Shrimp. Here's how to lightly pan-fry enough shrimp to serve four to six people.
Things You'll Need
- 1 minced garlic cloves (optional)
- 10- to 12-inch frying pan
- 3/4 to 1 lb. medium to large shrimp
- 10- To 12-inch Frying Pan
Thaw the shrimp if they are frozen.
Shell and devein the shrimp. You can do this while they're still partially frozen.
When ready to cook, heat a sauté pan over medium-high heat.
Add oil when the pan is hot.
Add garlic, if you're using it, and sauté for 30 seconds.
Add the shrimp, season with salt, and cook, stirring constantly.
When the shrimp turn pink, remove one and test for doneness by cutting it in half. If the shrimp are opaque throughout and no longer translucent, they're done.
Remove from heat as soon as the shrimp are cooked.
Tips & Warnings
- Shrimp will overcook and turn tough very quickly, so limit the amount of time they spend cooking and check them frequently.
- Buy shrimp frozen if possible. Almost all shrimp are frozen as soon as they're processed, so be wary of thawed shrimp.