Cucumber juice is low-calorie and rich in vitamin A and potassium, making it a nutritious drink and a good choice when you need a little extra hydration. Making juice out of a vegetable that usually graces salads may sound odd, but this member of the melon family contains enough water to make it ideal for juicing. Whether you’re looking to create a tasty beverage or are trying to manage an overabundant crop of cucumbers, break out the blender and make a drink that will leave you feeling cool and refreshed.
Things You'll Need
- Vegetable peeler
- Blender or food processor
- Fine-mesh strainer or cheesecloth
- Spatula (optional)
Remove the skin of the cucumber with a vegetable peeler. Slice off the ends of the cucumber with a sharp knife and discard.
Chop the cucumber into several smaller pieces, and add to a blender or food processor. Blend the cucumber until pulpy and liquefied, approximately two minutes.
Set a fine-mesh strainer or cheesecloth over a bowl. Pour the contents of the blender into the strainer or into the center of the cheesecloth.
Use a spatula or your fingers to squeeze the remaining juice from the cucumber mash in the strainer into the bowl, or gather the edges of the cheesecloth together, twisting and squeezing to extract the remaining juice from the cucumber pulp.
Use the cucumber juice immediately, or store in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Tips & Warnings
- Whenever possible, buy organic cucumbers as non-organic cucumbers may be waxed or the skin could contain pesticides. Look for cucumbers that are dark green in color and firm to the touch. Don’t purchase cucumbers that are yellowish in appearance or are wrinkled at the ends.
- Remove the seeds before blending or use seedless cucumbers for juice that is less bitter in flavor.
- Create a custom juice drink by combining cucumber juice with other fruit or vegetable juices such as tomato, carrot, strawberry, watermelon and/or apple.
- Add a splash or two of cucumber juice to freshen up a cocktail such as a gin and tonic, a vodka gimlet or a bloody Mary.
- Wear rubber gloves when straining cucumber juice to avoid staining your hands.
- Photo Credit DENIO RIGACCI/iStock/Getty Images
- Lemon and Cucumber for Acne
How to Reuse Pickle Juice
Pickle juice can be reused to pickle other ingredients, add flavor to savory cocktails, marinate meat and much more.
Benefits of Juicing Cucumbers
The top benefit of juicing cucumbers is that you get significantly more nutrients than if you add a few slices of cucumber...