Liver and onions was once considered a delicacy by those who lived in the city, yet the dish was everyday fare for those who lived a more rural life and raised their own animals. Today, liver and onions can be eaten by anyone and is a simple main dish to prepare.
Things You'll Need
- Container of sliced beef liver
- 1/2 lb. bacon
- 1 to 2 large onions, sliced and separated into rounds
- Skillet with lid, large and heavy
- Tongs or spatula
Place bacon slices into the bottom of a heavy skillet and fry until crisp. While the bacon is cooking, drain juices from the liver slices in a colander.
Remove bacon from the pan and add onions. Cook, stirring often, until the onions begin to soften.
Remove onion from pan. Add liver slices and sear on both sides. Turn the heat down to a simmer and cover the pan.
Allow liver to cook 10 to 15 minutes depending on the thickness of the slices. Check for doneness by cutting a slice where it is the thickest. Once the meat is no longer pink, the liver is done.
Serve the liver with the onions. Add the bacon if desired.
Tips & Warnings
- Liver and onions can be seasoned with garlic, pepper or other spices if desired.
- Hearty home fried potatoes make a great side dish for liver and onions.
- Overcooking can make liver tough; remove it from the heat source as soon as it is done.
- Liver is full of vitamins and minerals, especially iron.
- Chicken livers can be substituted for beef liver in most recipes.
- Adding the bacon back will also add more fat to your final dish.
- Photo Credit beef liver on white plate image by radarreklama from Fotolia.com
How to Cook Chicken Livers
Chicken livers are not always well received by everyone. Some people hear the word 'liver' and immediately want to shy away. But...
How to Make Southern Liver and Onions
Liver and onions is an easy-to-make signature Southern dish. Cook the liver fast and hot to keep it moist.
How to Fry Liver
Liver can be fried either coated in seasoned flour or plain with nothing more than pepper if desired. The key is to...
How to Cook Beef Liver
Any cut of beef is better when cooked properly, but few demonstrate the difference between skilled and unskilled preparation as starkly as...
How to Cook Venison Liver
Venison liver is a meal that you can easily prepare over a camp fire or at home on the stove. It has...
How to Cook Beef Liver: Recipes
Fans of early "Saturday Night Live" episodes won’t soon forget Chevy Chase dressing up as Julia Child and proclaiming, “Save the liver!”...
How to Cook Calf Liver
Calf liver is the tenderest type of liver available and therefore the most preferred. When prepared correctly, it is quite tasty It...
How to Remove the Bitter Taste From Beef Liver
Liver and onions may not sound appealing to some people, but many enjoy the taste of the meat. Sometimes beef liver can...
How to Cook Liverwurst
While it may have an unappealing name, liverwurst contains pork liver and pork meat, for a creamy, rich sausage. Since liverwurst is...
How to Marinate Beef Liver
Because liver is an organ meat, its flavor is usually rich and intense. Often beef liver from calves provides the most palatable...